rewiring project & outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of rewiring my house and I've got a question about the best way to power my outdoor lights....

I'm using some reasonably cheap cable from Screwfix for this and was wondering if it would be ok to bury this underground and power the outdoor lights?

The cable is plastic so I know it will be waterproof but I guess there's a small chance some animals could eat through it which might cause problems?

cheers
Pete

Sponsored Links
PeterPrincipal, apart from its dangerours, and probably the wrong size, you are ovelooking the obvious

p2351717_x.jpg

accidents can and do happen

electricty has no prejudices, it kills anyone.

I strongly suggest yoo get a competant electrcian to "oversee" wht you are doing, for although it must sound safe to you (since you asked the question) it is dangerours, and if that is wrong, what is the rest of your rewire like?

You cannot use Twin and earth underground. Ever.

Rewiring a house "on the cheap" is never a good idea.

Sponsored Links

When you come to sell the house, the buyer WILL want to see the Installation Certificate and a Certifiacte of Completion that confirms that the works have been properly notified and that they comply with Building Regulations.

Its hard enough to sell a house at the moment, any negative will drive buyers away.

Oh, and dont forget about the safety of you and yours while you live there.

Edit: I don't know if any of this advice actually applies to the mystical place that you live. If you have access to Screwfix then I suppose you are in the British Isles?

PeterPrincipal, apart from its dangerours, and probably the wrong size, you are ovelooking the obvious

p2351717_x.jpg

Lol - The lights run along the fence line so I wouldn't expect anyone to be digging there & I don't do much gardening myself but thanks for the warning. I think what I'll do is put the cable inside some guttering just to be on the safe side. Does anyone have any experience with this or outdoor wiring in general?

Taylor - yes currently live in the UK. Also, T&E?

Erm, peter you seem to be missing the point of all of these posts.

WTF.

You are rewiring a house, yet you don't know such basic fundamental principals like how incredibly dangerous burying T&E is.

www.competentperson.co.uk/search.asp

Implies you do not have a good enough understanding to perform this work.

You then contradict yourself

Hi,
wondering if it would be ok to bury this underground and power the outdoor lights?

p2351717_x.jpg

Lol - The lights run along the fence line so I wouldn't expect anyone to be digging there & I don't do much gardening myself but thanks for the warning. I think what I'll do is put the cable inside some guttering just to be on the safe side. Does anyone have any experience with this or outdoor wiring in general?

and just because you dont do gardening what about the poor green fingered lady that moves into your house when you move out?

Then there is TTC's post

When you come to sell the house, the buyer WILL want to see the Installation Certificate and a certifiacte of Completion that confirms that the works have been properly notified and that they comply with Building Regulations.

Its hard enough to sell a house at the moment, any negative will drive buyers away.

Oh, and don't forget about the safety of you and yours while you live there.

Edit: I don't know if any of this advice actually applies to the mystical place that you live. If you have access to Screwfix then I suppose you are in the British Isles?

And as this work is notifiable to your local building control you will need to pay them around £150 before you start anything.

Does this summarise and clarify peoples opinion here for you ?

Wow... you seem very angry Markey I'm shocked, I'm guessing you're either a gardener or an old lady?

I've abandoned the outdoor part of this project for now, until I can get to the bottom of the whole burying T&E debate we're having (it's less important than getting power back to my house anyway)... I think I'll finish off the kitchen first, does anyone have any advice on whether I should plumb the gas in before I rewire?

Pete

so now we have a buried cable that runs along the fence and is the gas to be same design? :LOL: :LOL:

do yourself a favour get someonecompetentinto do the work before you kill yourself or someone else :cry:

until I can get to the bottom of the whole burying T&E debate we're having (it's less important than getting power back to my house anyway)... I think I'll finish off the kitchen first, does anyone have any advice on whether I should plumb the gas in before I rewire?

Pete

Are you Corgi registered? - i doubt it! therefore you should not be touching the gas at all

This is either a windup or someone who hasn't got a clue what they are doing.

Either way your rewiring project is doomed.

I think I'll finish off the kitchen first, does anyone have any advice on whether I should plumb the gas in before I rewire?

Pete

Im not angry its just hard to judge what people are thinking when reading text and so i cannot work out if this is a serious comment or not!?

And i really hope it is someone having a laugh, but if its not please can you tell me the town/city so i never buy this house.

if you are serious then you need to also pay the same fee to your building control for the electrics in the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back