Rewiring Quote for 3 bed terraced house for 9100 including VAT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am surprised by the rewiring cost that has come up for my 3 bed terraced house. I quoted over 9000 including VAT. I had a budget between 4500-5500 and it is almost double the costs.

Requesting 3 plug boxes on an average for each rooms.
Requesting one centre light/fan power source and 2 side lights for each rooms.
CAT6 cable connection running across each rooms (source at the reception room)
Light and power point in Attic
1 light for toilet and power source for electric shower in bathroom
1 ceiling power socket on first floor ceiling and ground floor celing
Installing 15 way consumer unit (i was offered this by the electrician who provided me the quote)
2 side lights at the front door entrance
1 main light at the front door entrance
1 light source for garden

Personally i beieve this is way too much. Any thoughts and suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
I am not an electrician.

Where do you live?

Will the electricians need to move furniture, lift carpets, chase behind cornicing, make good the chases?

I don't think anyone will be able to offer comprehensive advice without more info.

get more quotes
difficult to advise, as dont know the layout of the house and work involved
I was quoted in 2016 - 7K for a very small 3 bed semi 1904

get more quotes
difficult to advise, as dont know the layout of the house and work involved
I was quoted in 2016 - 7K for a very small 3 bed semi 1904

This is a 3 bed terraced property probably over 100 years old. Basically a London terraced property. Nothing complicated as most of the properties in London are of this age. I would have thought thati this is just standard work for a terraced property and i didn't request anything more complicated.
Just curious - Did you go ahead with the rewiring though ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am not an electrician.

Where do you live?

Will the electricians need to move furniture, lift carpets, chase behind cornicing, make good the chases?

I don't think anyone will be able to offer comprehensive advice without more info.

I live in London. It will be a house where people live (and not an empty property). But most of the work are on the attic for first floor wiring works and on first floor base for ground floor wiring work plus droppings for plug points / gang switches.

I am surprised by the rewiring cost that has come up for my 3 bed terraced house. I quoted over 9000 including VAT. I had a budget between 4500-5500 and it is almost double the costs.

Requesting 3 plug boxes on an average for each rooms.
Requesting one centre light/fan power source and 2 side lights for each rooms.
CAT6 cable connection running across each rooms (source at the reception room)
Light and power point in Attic
1 light for toilet and power source for electric shower in bathroom
1 ceiling power socket on first floor ceiling and ground floor celing
Installing 15 way consumer unit (i was offered this by the electrician who provided me the quote)
2 side lights at the front door entrance
1 main light at the front door entrance
1 light source for garden

Personally i beieve this is way too much. Any thoughts and suggestions ?

That doesn't sound too bad to me - @£7,500 plus vat.

Get some more quotes but make sure that they will be able to provide the correct certificate when the job is completed.

Is the shower a completely new circuit? Are the lights outside on a driveway being run in Armoured cabling? Has the house been tested electrically prior to the rewire? London is premium price wise, as previous comments get two more quotes.

The specification provided is extremely limited.
You can't get anything accurate by an 'average per room' as no room will be average.
3 socket outlets per room is woefully inadequate for a modern home. Absolute minimum of 4 doubles, which is only one in each corner.
Many other things not even mentioned, such as smoke alarms, what a 'ceiling power socket' is for, where is the kitchen, heating, ventilation and so on.

It will be a house where people live (and not an empty property)
That will increase the price significantly.
So will being in London.

It will be a house where people live (and not an empty property)..
And I suppose you will want power maintained, or at least restored, at the end of each day?
No wonder you have such a large quote!. Most electricians won’t take on a rewire on that basis, it’s just too much trouble. The strategy is to quote a ridiculous price in the hope that you go elsewhere.

The specification provided is extremely limited.
That will increase the price significantly.
So will being in London.
Thanks for your response. Below are the details -

what a 'ceiling power socket' is for,
Ceiling power sockets are for internet modem in case i decide to enhance WIFI signals.

where is the kitchen, heating, ventilation
Kitchen was refurbished around 2010 including wiring. So kitchen was not requested to be changed except for the fact that rope switch for kitchen be converted to a normal regular switch.

Many other things not even mentioned, such as smoke alarms,
Smoke alarms are going to be battery operated.

3 socket outlets per room is woefully inadequate for a modern home.
Reception - 4 sockets
Dining room - 2 sockets (it's a single bed room)
1 Double bedroom - 3 sockets
2 double bedroom - 3 sockets
1 single bedroom - 2 sockets
Instead of writing big, i averaged it to 3.

Hope this helps.

And I suppose you will want power maintained, or at least restored, at the end of each day?
No wonder you have such a large quote!. Most electricians won’t take on a rewire on that basis, it’s just too much trouble

that hadn’t occurred to me, but makes sense.

Reconnecting every night would treble the work, I’d be happy to manage with a couple of extension leads for a week.

that hadn’t occurred to me, but makes sense.

Reconnecting every night would treble the work, I’d be happy to manage with a couple of extension leads for a week.
I requested him if the power for kitchen be left alone or to continue without any issues.

24x7 power supply for just kitchen during the work period - This is what i requested and he acknowledged that it should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back