Rewiring Quote for 3 bed terraced house for 9100 including VAT

Sponsored Links
7500+vat may be the going rate for London these days. Does that include all making good (filling chases, restoring cornices/skirtings)
If you can empty rooms, lift carpets, remove skirting boards you'll probably save some money (you'd have to agree a schedule of rooms with whoever is doing the work) but ask the question- you might find you can save a chunk of cash by emptying furniture into a storage unit and living in an Airbnb for a week.
Agree with those who advise you won't have enough sockets- minimum 1 x 2g on each wall. By the way, don't take any nonsense about sockets having to be 1500mm above floor level- in a new build there are height requirements but not on a refurb so up to you how high you have them. Same with light switches.

7500+vat may be the going rate for London these days. Does that include all making good (filling chases, restoring cornices/skirtings)
If you can empty rooms, lift carpets, remove skirting boards you'll probably save some money (you'd have to agree a schedule of rooms with whoever is doing the work) but ask the question- you might find you can save a chunk of cash by emptying furniture into a storage unit and living in an Airbnb for a week.
Agree with those who advise you won't have enough sockets- minimum 1 x 2g on each wall. By the way, don't take any nonsense about sockets having to be 1500mm above floor level- in a new build there are height requirements but not on a refurb so up to you how high you have them. Same with light switches.
Thanks, the guy who quoted me said 450mm above floor (if i remember correctly).

I had someone else who quoted 4500 excluding VAT / materials and someone else quoting 6500 just for labour excluding VAT / materials. At this point of time, i have no idea who will do a nice job.

Quotes are all ridiculous and now i understand why most of the properties i visited were never updated /upgraded for over 40-50 years. How can a family with a total yearly income of 50k with 2 kids do away spending 10k for refurbishments. That may look easy - just few year savings. But i didn't see that when i visited properties for my vieweings. May be 20 % of the properties were a bit modern / decent and majority of them needed a full refurbishment. Anyways.

Now moaning -
College Degree + working for 20 years and haven't seen much money. But i am happy. No complaints.
I wish i had chosen my career wisely as a tradesman. 10 rewires in a year + 50 odd daily / half day jobs and that is enough money for daily spending for the family and then some into pensions. Probably i will have 3-4 months for myself to do what i like (basically do nothing for 3 months, just sit and chill...lol).

Sponsored Links
@Janan Jae its not all profit though. You have to buy and maintain a van, pass a lot of exams, join a registered CPS, buy and maintain calibrated test equipment, pay the CPS several hundred a year, public liability and professional indemnity insurance, a van full of tools, chocolate hobnobs, an accountant.…thats £10k off the bottom line, every year.

@Janan Jae its not all profit though. You have to buy and maintain a van, pass a lot of exams, join a registered CPS, buy and maintain calibrated test equipment, pay the CPS several hundred a year, public liability and professional indemnity insurance, a van full of tools, chocolate hobnobs, an accountant.…thats £10k off the bottom line, every year.
I am not disagreeing. But 7500 £ for a 6-8 day job is pretty too high.

Get someone else then if you think it's too high, a cheaper quote could mean poorer workmanship though...

Get someone else then if you think it's too high, a cheaper quote could mean poorer workmanship though...

I am sorry. That's poor logic. While your logic may fit good for products (Sony TV or Samsung Mobile or Apple iPad), as far as service based workmanship that is not true.
Quality is purely based on individuals skills and how focussed he/she is at work/service they are doing. Money has nothing to do with quality.
I mean - Quality is an habit.

For example, i spoke to over 10 families / friends who did refurbishments in the last 5 years. None of them recommended any of the person / businesses who did the work for them.

So far i have only rented. So i don't know anything about refurishment costs. Thats why i am here. Googling said - Average London prices are roughly 5500 for a 3 bed terraced property. 9k is what i have as my quote. TBH If that is what is going to cost me for rewiring, i may even leave the house as is.

Last edited:
All I can think reading this is thank god I didn’t quote the job for the OP!

You get what you pay for. Put a spec together for the job, for what you want, get 3 quotes from recommended tradesman, so they can all quote like for like and go from there. Either the tradesman didn’t want the job (or could tell what sort of customer you’re going to be) but ultimately rewiring an occupied property is not a cheap job

Some small comments :-
Ceiling power sockets are for internet modem in case i decide to enhance WIFI signals.

Do you really mean a ceiling mounted "modem" or just a Wi-Fi "range extender"

I find that my "tp-link" range extender, plugged into a normal Socket-Outlet, works just fine.
(See comment 3.)

Smoke alarms are going to be battery operated.

AND, wireless linked together, (one hopes.)

While you wrote "3 plug boxes on an average for each room",
please consider (at slight extra cost) installing more than a "pair" of socket-outlets at some of these "locations" - such as TV/Audio and "computer" locations - AND have some socket-outlets with USB 5V "supplies" .
(If you do that, take into consideration how Plug-In SMPTs, "range-extenders" and other devices may obstruct, or be obstructed, by plugs etc. [i. e. KEEP THINGS SEPERATED.])

In addition, another serious suggestion (really).

Since it may be that part of the cost would be to work around 4 people living in the home and have the services at least partly working at the end of each day, would any such quote become cheaper if you could arrange for a trusted relative, friend or neighbour to "project manage" for you while you and your family took a holiday for a week - or more - possibly, with some other relative?

(Regular 'phone contact is easy these days, Spring is there and your Summer- with school holidays - is coming !)

The "holiday" would be at some cost but you and your family would have the benefit of that holiday offset by the (possible) reduction in the cost of the "upgrade".

Good Luck!

To add my perspective...

In 2014, I had a rewire on a very small two bed terrace in South Wales.
Full rewire, including smoke and heat detectors, new distribution board and aerial points.
Chases were left open so I could fit AV and network cables.
Price £5600 inc. VAT

Job was done really well, but took over two weeks! (Not at my cost!)
The quote had not considered the difficulty of chasing rubble stone walls! :confused:

Additionally, we moved out to a relative's house, took most of our furniture to storage (stacking what was left out of the way) and took up the floor coverings upstairs.

Given the huge supply chain issues and rising fuel costs at the moment (that have to be passed onto the customer); £9k in London, doesn't seem that bad value! :)

Trusting 'average' prices on Google, may be your downfall!

Edit:
I would also add - what cost is safety for you and your family? This is a risk that only you can calculate.
For me the wiring in some places was degraded rubber, that was literally crumbling off the conductors.
I had to have a rewire.
In your case how bad is the wiring, is it red and black PVC?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back