Rewiring spa control panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mothers spa control panel is an absolute mess, it has been messed with over the years by many electricians, adding bits here and there etc. the circuitry is over complicated for what it is doing.

i have drawn up a new control circuit which will simplify the wiring and make it easier to fault find in future. My question is, i am capable of doing the work myself as its the same kind of work and equipment which i am working with at my place of work, but is this part p /notifiable work?

i would not be altering any of the supply side of things, just control. i do not want to do the work myself if it would be illegal as im not part p. basically all i would be doing is using the original contactors and relays and just renewing the wiring to them, and also changing the remote control which is inside the house to an IP rated box. (the current one is not waterproof and is right next to the spa!)

Sponsored Links
You can do as you wish and it will all be perfectly legal.

As long as you notify building control and pay their fee.

Interesting question, and I'm not entirely sure of the answer, as the spa is a complete appliance, and to me, altering it's wiring would no different to rewiring your kettle albeit on a larger scale. As you say, you don't plan to modify the supply or anything on that side of the electrical installation.

Thoughts?

he did say he wanted to move the controller into the house, which would involve running new cable AFAICT . . .

Sponsored Links
there is already a remote control inside, the main panel is outside and the remote is spa side. all i want to do with it, is put the switches inside an IP rated box, as currently they are not and being at the side of the spa leaves them open to water ingress. so no new cable.....just a new box

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back