Wiring to spa bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am fitting a spa bath which has a 13 amp outlet from it.

I have removed my old 8.5kw shower, and was hoping to use the same wiring and pull cord for the spa bath, which i used for my shower but lower the rcd rating, here are my questions:

1. Can i use this wiring and configuration?

2. What do i need to reduce the rcd down to.

thanks for any help.

Stu.

Sponsored Links
The easiest way to do this is to use the existing shower supply to feed an FCU. If this is in a bathroom then it must only be located on the apropriate zone, and the work will be notifiable to your LABC.

Do you really mean RCD? Or do you actually mean MCB?

Hi,

Ok, with you i think.

I can fit an FCU in the loft off this supply no problem, and then wire the spa to this.

Is it an mcb?, sorry .... what do i need to rate this down to?

I presume it's 30 amp at the moment with it originally feeding my 8.5kw electic shower, i'm just not sure what size to use?

Also, i presume i could still keep my pull cord which would isolate the fcu/spa once connected.

Hope i am making sense, not the best at explaining.

Stu.

stumorrell said:
Is it an mcb?, sorry .... what do i need to rate this down to?

I presume it's 30 amp at the moment with it originally feeding my 8.5kw electic shower, i'm just not sure what size to use?

This shows the difference between the devices in you consumer unit.

You need to see what rating the MCB is that currently supplies your shower circuit, and also see wether it is protected by an RCD.

CUExplained.jpg

You should be fine keeping the pull cord in the bathroom. This will be a little unconventional, but I dont see any reason why it can't be left like this.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Ive looked and it's a 40amp mcb unprotected at the moment, what size would i need to fit for the spa?

Thanks again,

Stu.

But make sure the spur is accessible, so you can:

isolate for maintenance

fit replacement fuses

reset the RCD if it trips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back