Ridge Beam Promblem....maybe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just looked up in the loft and i've noticed the ridge beam on one side is not sat on top of the blockwork.

At the top of the blockwork were two bricks/blocks, whatever there called, where the ridge beam used to be sat on. However, one of these blocks was has become loose and is no longer doing anything.

This means the ridge beam isnt sat on the blocks......does this matter?

Should I cement the loose block back in and cement the ridge beam to the top of the blocks?

Just wondering if I do that, then I am restraining the roof laterally as well as vertically....which may be a problem....I'm not sure.

I would really appreciate any help from someone in the trade!

Simon

:cry:

Sponsored Links
It's nothing to worry about. The ridge board really just locates the rafters, and there are thousands of older roofs built without a ridge at all, the rafters being jointed together.
I would however, investigate as to why the block has come loose. ?There may be a small localised leek or insect damage that has caused this or it could just as easily have been bad workmanship when it was first built. Check also to see if there are signs of movement anywhere esle on the roof or walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back