Ridges in plaster work - fill and sand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just finished the mist coat in my house, and I have one 8 meter wall that was plastered in two halves. I thought that I had already filled and sanded the gaps in the join properly, but in bright sunlight there are two clear shadows of about 2-3 cm wide running up the wall.

My approach to sort them out is going to be to put a light coat of PVA into the area, and when tacky use a fairly wet mix of easifill with my long finishing trowel to fill the depression. Once dry I would put another coat of easifill and then lightly sand it down flat.

Is this the right approach, is there anything else that I should be doing instead?

Thx,

Jon

Sponsored Links
DONT USE FECKIN PVA!!

Your filler will be stuck to the PVA not the wall creating a weak link in the system. It is likely that as soon as any pressure is put on to the filled area it will lift. Key it with a bit of sand paper and fill. It's going to be troublesome though as it will be hard to get it dead flush with no high spots and you will have a large smooth area of filler. Make sure you prime the filler with thinned emulsion using a mini roller.

DONT USE FECKIN PVA!!

Your filler will be stuck to the PVA not the wall creating a weak link in the system. It is likely that as soon as any pressure is put on to the filled area it will lift. Key it with a bit of sand paper and fill. It's going to be troublesome though as it will be hard to get it dead flush with no high spots and you will have a large smooth area of filler. Make sure you prime the filler with thinned emulsion using a mini roller.

Thanks for the information. I will avoid PVA as you suggest. It will be tough to get it flat, worst case I have a large orbital sander which I used for all the walls which I could use to level the surface out.

J.

Sponsored Links
I've filled some very large troughs with filler; you can get them flat with ease as long as the filler width doesn't exceed the length of the orbital. Using either side of the filler as your level, you can run it across and get it flush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back