Rielllo boiler model G5X. no spark on start up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you in advance for the time and advice.
My riello burner has stopped working, there dose not seem to be a spark on start up, but there is oil spraying out of the nozzle and the fan is running up. I have replaced the photo cell, and fitted a spare control box that I have used for fault finding before. The electrodes gap is set correctly and there is plenty of oil in the tank.
So it seems to me that the solenoid and pump are working, fan and motor working, and tried two different control boxes, but still no spark.
Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
As you have replaced most of the likely culprits, I'd consider looking at the ignition transformer that provides the high voltage spark.
John :)

As you have replaced most of the likely culprits, I'd consider looking at the ignition transformer that provides the high voltage spark.

If its a riello g5 the transformer is in the control box make sure the control box is new check insulators are not broken

Sponsored Links
Most likely that the power from white wire is ok, seeing as the solenoid is working. Would agree with other post that you need to prove your second control box is working.

Clean transformer outputs well and check for cracks, but easier to try a replacement.

You could remove the solenoid and fire it up and check with a mirror to see if there are sparks flying around anywhere they shouldn't. DONT look directly down the nozzle assembly. It could just fire at that time WHOOSH. (If stem valve faulty)

Thank you very much for all your help.
Armed with your information. It turned out that it was the transformer in both the original one, and the spare (fault finding control) boxes that I fitted were unserviceable.
I replaced the control box with a brand new one, and the burner sparked up and is running great.
Great site.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back