Riello 40F5 lockout after running (for minutes not seconds)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings!

In trying to sort out my burner lockout issue, I've stumbled into your forum and, since you all seem like a helpful bunch, let me give a stab at describing my problem. I'll try to be a thorough as possible.

I have a Burnham V8 hydronic boiler with a Riello 40F5 burner installed in Oct 2001. Recently (end of last heating season), it's started to lockout after running for (5 or so) minutes when heating after a setback ended (a long cycle). Last years (Oct 2007) regular maintenance was done professionally.

During the summer, the system is off (except for a once a month run). In the fall, prior to startup for the new heating season, I do a regular maintenance to include changing the nozzle, pump screen, and filter, checking for motor or pump binding by rotating a couple times manually, and other boiler related maintenance (heat exchanger brushing and chimney trap cleanout) so I decided to wait and see if this had an effect on the problem. It didn't.

As part of the process of changing the filter, I have to purge the air in the (rather large Fram P1101A) filter. I have the install manual and after a number of lockout resets didn't purge things, I, using the pump purge instructions therein, loosened the bleeder valve and started up the burner, when the solenoid valve engaged after 10 seconds prepurge, shone a light on the photocell until oil ran from the bleeder. Next, turned off the burner, closed the bleeder and started up okay.

My describtion of what's happening follows. When coming back from a thermostat setback, the boiler appears to startup normally. There is a 10 sec prepurge, then the solenoid responds and the electrodes spark, I see a spray of fuel in the combustion chamber and the burner ignites. The circulator pump pumps continuously during the entire time and the appropriate zone (2 total) receives heat. After a period of time measured in minutes, the flame goes out but the blower motor continues to run. After about 10 seconds, I hear the electrodes attempt an ignition but there doesn't appear to be any fuel spray this time and lockout occurs. After a short period of time (est >30sec?) the lockout can be reset and the burner will restart. Once the zone is heated as demanded the burner will shut off normally.

I've looked at the following after the maintenance as troubleshooting attempts. Replace the nozzle a second time. Clean the photocell sensor. Inspect the electrodes, measure the gaps, clean the tips. Check turbulator and air plate settings. The burn doesn't appear sooty.

At this point I'm feeling it's a solenoid or control box issue? Any feedback is appreciated.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Greetings ajstoneservices!

Solenoid coil, pn 3002279. I'll pick up one tomorrow!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Kevin

Solenoid coil (pn 3002279) changed out with no issues but no change in the problem. :(

The burner is still locking out after running for a period of time as decsribed before.

It doesn't seem likely that the solenoid valve itself would close while the coil is energized so I'm thinking the control box is dropping the signal. Are there any other possibilities here? I hate to spring for a control box ($$) if there may be other possibilities to explore.

I have a digital multimeter so I expect I could pigtail some leads from the control box connection points so I could measure the voltages on the coil if it would be useful.

Thanks for any additional feedback.
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Attach an oil pressure gauge and monitor what happens to the pressure.

Greetings Terrywookfit!

I don't currently have such a gauge but I've seen other postings that an inexpensive one might be had. Could you provide some specifics or a make/model I could spec so I'm sure to get the right one for the job. I'm guessing it needs to read over 150psi, for example?

Update: Okay! I found what appears to be a suitable gauge listed as burner, fuel oil pressure gauge 0-200 at http://www.pressureparts.com/Pressure-Part-079020.aspx. I placed an order and should have it within a few days to a week.

Thanks for your time and assistance.
Kevin

Greetings!

I have the oil pressure gauge now and I got the R40 gauge adapter kit and promptly sheared off the adapter nipple in the purge port. You should have heard me cursing! Fortunately the broken off piece backed out easily so no harm done except to my pride.

Now, more carefully with the second adapter, I got readings like this while monitoring the gauge:

Set thermostat to demand. Burner starts up. Pre-purge pressure in the 40-60 psi range.

Burner ignites. Pressure goes to around 150 psi range.

Time passes...pressure holds for a few minutes with a slight lessening to around 140 psi average.

Time passes...during the next few minutes, pressure begins to drop more quickly...all the way to 100-110 psi.

Pump shuts off at around 100-110 psi and pressure goes to zero psi. Fan still blows.

Pre-purge occurs? Pressure goes to 40-60 psi range.

Burner attempts to ignite but pump doesn't pressurize to 150 psi this time (stays in pre-purge of 40-60 psi) and finally lockout occurs and everything shuts down.

Let me know what you think or if there's anything else to check.

Thanks again!
Kevin

from what you have said your pump is suffering from fuel starvation.

check the filters at the tank and the boiler. Has your system got a fusable fire valve or thermcouple fire valve. It is not uncommon for a fusable fire valve to become nearly closed.

Greetings snb!

Fuel starvation it was. The filter was new but the line must have been partially blocked (with sludge?). It was taking about 9 minutes to create enough vacuum to shut down. Cleared the fuel line from the tank to filter and all is well. Added some Hercules Power Flow treatment to help dissolve any sludge in the tank. Oddly, the separate Carlin burner for the hot water heater never seemed to notice.

Thanx for everyones help! This problem is solved!
Kevin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back