Riello Burner - Fixing air shutter into position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Riello Mectron 5m burner. The hydraulic ram operating the air shutter began to leak.

I replaced the ram, but the capillary tube end no longer makes a good seal. Oil everywhere.

I've ordered a substitute capillary tube from a UK site. I hope that works out.
In case that fails I ordered a blanking screw to the pump hydraulic port.

However, My burner is an older model and the air adjustment is made with the shutter.

I can not simply discard the shutter even if I disable the hydraulic ram - I must fix it into the p roper position.

What is the best way to do this - to fix the shutter into a frozen position?
Can this be done by extending the length of the ram?

Sponsored Links
Remove ram and cut pipe and bend it back on itself which will stop oil leak for now while the banking screw arrives. The air shutter will hold if you tighten up the pivot screw on the shutter. If it happens to be the later thin metal air shutter cover then this can be removed. A picture would help if possible

Remove the screw from the damper, remove the sleeve from inside the screw hole and replace the screw. The damper can then be locked with the screw.
It's worth trying the bent tube crimped over. If it seals then replace with the plug when it arrives. If it doesn't then you need to wait.

Sponsored Links
Remove the screw from the damper, remove the sleeve from inside the screw hole and replace the screw. The damper can then be locked with the screw.
It's worth trying the bent tube crimped over. If it seals then replace with the plug when it arrives. If it doesn't then you need to wait.

Here is an image of the burner, from the side, hydraulic ram (that leaks), the little part that rotates the shutter when the ram pushes on a pin.

The silver screw is the one you mean? DO you mean remove the rotating mechanism is in?

Would it work to lengthen the ram?

http://i.imgur.com/Ww7XnV2.jpg

You need to remove the screw on the damper, disconnect it from the ram. Remove the sleeve from the damper hole, and replace the damper. When you put the screw back in, it will fix the damper against the burner case.
Then you need to disconnect the pipe from the ram, and if you fold it and crimp it, you should find it will hold for a while until you get the plug.

Then you need to disconnect the pipe from the ram, and if you fold it and crimp it, you SHOULD find it will hold for a while until you get the plug.

Or it will start spraying high pressure oil and burn the house down.

I hope she has a working fire valve fitted.

If this was a post about gas. It would be deleted. :LOL:

For this one, I used a 1/8 BSP plug, (from the old ram feed) drilled it out and filled it with braze - but solder would probably do.
You'll need to fix the shutter in the normally run position if you can, or allow someone to adjust it who has a flue gas analyser.
John :)

Remove ram and cut pipe and bend it back on itself which will stop oil leak for now

Are you seriously suggesting that bending the pipe back will safely seal 8 bar of oil pressure. :eek:

In short. Yes. If the pipe is flattened and bent back on its self and crimped it holds. It will do as a stop gap until the ram port plug arrives.

Remove ram and cut pipe and bend it back on itself which will stop oil leak for now

Are you seriously suggesting that bending the pipe back will safely seal 8 bar of oil pressure. :eek:

In short. Yes. If the pipe is flattened and bent back on its self and crimped it holds. It will do as a stop gap until the ram port plug arrives.

It is to be hoped that you do not also work with gas.

You are a Four King rough B' astard.

I hope you pay your PLI without fail!!!

For this one, I used a 1/8 BSP plug, (from the old ram feed) drilled it out and filled it with braze - but solder would probably do.

THis is actually relevant to my interests - my current worry.

This is an older Riello, the Mectron 5m. I have ordered a blanking screw but I keep reading inconsistent things about the proper plug for the hydraulic port on this machine.

Some say 1/8" NPT
Others say a metric plug.

I really don't know what's correct and wonder if anyone here would know about my old burner.

I have one ordered a blanking screw RIELLO BLANKING SCREW 3007943 MECTRON ( HYD. JACK PORT ) from a UK spares site.

I could go to the auto parts store I guess and get the first one right now.

Just to confirm, that part number is correct.
Whether a car parts store would have such a thing is anyones guess - it isn't a popular size in car braking systems over here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back