RIGHT! thats it - I'm having my roof back.......

Sponsored Links
Fair play to the roofer.

The toffs are the worst for not paying up so I hope it rains heavily this week! :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/8267763.stm

Good on him, but he did break the law so the arrest was inevitable. But why did the charge include endangering life?

Don't know the whole story so could have been six-of-one and half a dozen of the other.

Was this a cowboy customer, or a cowboy builder :?:

Sponsored Links
Good on the bloke, nice to see someone with balls, too many small firms going tits up through non or late payments, maybe we all need to take a leaf out of his book.
Pity he know has a record for going to work.

Have work done on your property, don't pay up, as you have the law on your side.

serves em right.. should have paid the money owed..
or at least most of it..
if there is dispute over the work done then keep a bit back until you're happy with it, but there's no way that there was £15,000 worth of faults with it..
£2-3000 maybe...

I guess that it's the damage to the lawns and drive from throwing the tiles down that they can do them for.. how can it be criminal damage to destroy something that you own.. and the roofing materials remained the builders until payment was made..

think they were spurred into action after watching that "cowboy customers" thing the other day?

Col,

If you listen to the report it says the builder hat had 3/4 of his money but the customer kept the rest back as they didnt think the work was satisfactory and wanted him to put it right.

Rico

my bad, I misread it.. I thought it said that they still owed £15000.. not that the whole job was £15000...

This story made it into the nationals today - it says in there that he was owed £15,000 from a £47,000 job and that the dispute was mainly over the fact that a 13-week build took 36-weeks to complete. The owners reckon there was a £400-a-week late penalty clause in the contract and that accounted for nearly £10k of the payment they are withholding.

I am totally on the side of the builder, we took a client to court a few years ago for non-payment, we won and the court ordered him to pay the invoice and our court costs but he never did - what else can you do?? If you chase payments using the correct and legal routes you get nowhere so obviously some people try the more direct route and take matters into their own hands. Maybe the owners of this house will be a little keener to sort out any disputes over invoices they have in future.

More of the story coming out...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090923/tuk-builder-hits-the-roof-in-row-over-pa-45dbed5.html

Mr Arthur, a farmer, said he hired Mr Toon in 2004 for a job which was meant to take 13 weeks and ended up lasting more than 36.

As the builders prepared to finish the job the Arthurs discovered a gas leak and their architect and project manager banned Mr Toon from the site.

"I was more than patient with him but the final straw came when a gas leak was discovered. When I told him he simply said 'open the windows'," he said.

"The work he carried out was defective and incomplete. Concrete paths had not been laid properly and the rendering to the exterior was poor.

"The toilets hadn't been plumbed in, there were no doors on the shower and no stove in the downstairs living room, along with other things too numerous to mention."

If the above is true (I'm not sure we'll ever find out the real truth), then Mr Toon is not someone I'd want to work alongside or have my name associated with. 'Open the windows'!!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back