Ring mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently moved to a 3 bed town house built in the early 70's. The house has three floors, ground, first and second floor with two rooms and hallway/stairwell on each. I have done a bit of investigating to see what , if anything in the way of electrical work needs doing before I start decorating.

It has a modern MK CU and all the wiring (that I can get access to) looks to be in good condition although none of the earths in the sockets/light switches are sheathed (Probably not a requirement in the 70s? Who knows?).

I have found that the house has two ring mains (both 2.5T&E and 30amp MCB each). The first ring does the whole ground floor (kitchen and dining room) and the living room on the first floor. The second ring does the three bedrooms, one on the first floor and the two on the second.

I am concerned that the first ring may be overloaded, the kitchen alone has 7 double sockets and 6 FCU's supplying a socket located outside, a washing machine, clothes dryer, dishwasher, fridge freezer and 150w security light. There are at least another 6 double sockets in other rooms on this ring main with 2 single socket spurs.

The other ring has a total of 10 double sockets. 7 are on the ring and 3 of them are spurs. Does all this sound acceptable or am I right to be concerned about the first ring main?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
i can see problems with the lower floor ring main. it may need 2 be split into 2 (i wud have the kitchen on itz own ring)

Your only problem area will be the kitchen as this is where most of your heavy loading appliances are. I agree with Andrew that the kitchen should be on its own circuit although, there are houses out there with only one ring main and never have problems. The question is how likely are you expected to over-load this circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back