Rippled Flat Roof - Frost damage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

For the past 7 years my extension has had a "flat" flat roof but over the course of last winter it's developed huge dips in it causing a massive ripple effect on the surface. The roof itself isn't leaking as far as I know but I'm seriously worried it will. I'm guessing this is a case of frost damage but as I'm no expert I'd really appreciate a few opinions from any knowledgable folk out there.

Here's a few pics I took...

I'm thinking of trying to claim on my house insurance for the repairs but the £600 excess is making me wonder whether repairing the roof out of my own pocket will be more cost effective.

I estimate the roof was laid about 10-12 years ago and measures approx 8ft x 7ft.

Sponsored Links
The roof is leaking! Thats why it is dipping, the decking is waterlogged and sagging between the joists.
Time for a new roof.

It must be chipboard decking to bow that much :eek: . Good news is that a roof of the size of yours is DIY able using a rubber membrane over new decking :idea: Loads of companies on the net selling all the kit and instructions to help you do it - Firestone is probably one of the best membranes

doubt if bad workmanship or lack off maintainance will be covered
would you claim on your car insurance when the tires wear out or the clutch goes??

maintainance is your responcibility

flat roofs last 15- 25years above that is borrowed time

Sponsored Links
you have nothing to loose by asking i would only put your chances at maybe 5%
but as you aren't an expert in these matters so don't know the cause is its worth a go as you aren't trying to tell porkys just trying to find out what you are entitled to ?? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back