Rising damp does not exist

Konrad, your mould article is also good. I was interested in one point you made:

Konrad's site said:
"a heating and dehumidifying airing system cannot prevent condensate in cooled base wall aereas[sic]"

Are you refering to hot air heating or hot water/radiator central heating ? I have a dehumidifier that I leave on a timer for a couple of hours when I go to work in the winter becuase of damp towels on radiators and it always has at least a pint of water in when I get home ! But are you talking about the danger of damp/moisture/mould in corners because all the heat rises and never reachers the corners ? What abut the corners near the ceiling ?

Sponsored Links
On one of the houses i worked on a long time back it had those air vents below the floor and they got blocked, when we were chipping the plaster off for the damp course injection it had that fungus stuff growing from under the floor up into the wall and plaster like roots of a plant--does that count??

The problem is the temperature of the surfaces of heating system (convector/radiator). From about 45 °C above the heated air can tear off from the heated surface and will stream around the room. It will give the warmth indirectly to the rooms envelopes and so they are cooler than the air.

The air has humidity and so the humidity must condensate in cooler parts, mostly where the heated air stream will not come to so good, will say all corners in the room, behind furniture etc. Mold and dry rot can follow.

So I am planning (as architect and civil engineer) since more than 10 years only IR radiation heating systems for old and new buildings by most simple (and cheap) ways. IR radiation can not heat the air, it will only heat the solid materials and then indirectly the air molecules by contact. So the air is cooler (saves money and energy, because the heated air streams outside) and never will be any condensate, mold and insane room atmosphere!

We don't calculate the heating needs with the normal U-values but with better values (Ueff-value) which count in the solar radiation and energy storing of solid walls. Quite a revolution in german eyes and argued very much from collegues. That better calculation is saving money also, because we need not so much heating system and energy by using the solar favours. Look on the pic, thats all we do in technical sense,besides the normal heating system and some improvemnets of systems regulation:

7TEMP2.JPG

The tubes with warm water are installed open, follow very near the floor all exterior walls, and are heating by radiation permanently (without letting cooling off the walls during night). This saves a lot of energy, in my house 5 liter oil per m²/year. And we don't pollute our best food we have - the air to breath - with dust and dirt and spores - because with a mostly IR radiation based heating there are nearly no air streams in the room which take off this **** from floor level and sents it to the lungs.

When it is very cold outside (< 4 °C), the small radiator plate will work additional. The system we name "Huellflaechentemperierung', what means giving constant but low heating temperature to the rooms envelope.

Just now I don't have an english infotext translated, you can find it in german, danish and russian language. Lots of pics! I recommend to translate the more simple danish or the 'enriched' german text by online translator like Google offers.

Best regards and pardon my poor school english :oops:

Konrad

oilman said:
A sadly typical joe post. Riddled with flaws. I have a garden wall spalled to hell, reason? water runs down it when it rains NOTHING to do with rising damp. I have a house wall 7metres high , some of the bricks are spalling, why? you guessed it, R A I N W A T E R. It is NOT rising damp. Now listen to Konrad, he seems to know quite a lot more than most of us.
Too true oilman, on all counts.

Reading Konrad's postings are like getting all of my Chrismas presents, ever, in one go. I'm going to spend hours happily reading his information, glowing in the affirmation of my suspicions.

Only one thing could make this post better, which is if joe-90 were to reappear and attempt to contradict Konrad. Please joe - would you? Pretty please? Just for me (and oilman I dare say)?

Sponsored Links
I would like to get technical resistance and a sceptic debate to learn something more. And I think that I am humourous enough to get rid with some good jokes too. :LOL:

Konrad Fischer rocks :LOL: Anyone care to second that ?

Your English Konrad is better than my German will ever be so no apology needed mate. :D

Konrad can say that he's never seen rising damp. I've never seen a wild panda. He cannot say that it doesn't exist just because it beyond his experience in the world.

The area where I live uses soft bricks that suck up water like a sponge.

It's not an arguable topic.

If rising damp doesn't exist - don't you think that surveyors world-wide would have noticed?

Contact RICS and see what they say.

joe

If it doesn't exist - what are they measuring then? Why don't they simply say it doesn't exist? Then explain what it is that makes plaster fall off walls and joist ends rot out.

joe

bathroomswap said:
Oh yes. Without hesitation (or deviation or repetition). Yes. (OK then, with repetition).

From my limited knowledge gained from this site and Konrad's, I would guess it could be one of, or a combination of:

1) plaster of a chemical base that does not work well with the older style bricks in older properties.

2) condensation coming from the inside attacking the wallpaper and plaster itself

3) water that has splashed onto the brickwork from a high level driveway onto the wall of a house or leaked drain/gutter/pipe.

Softus said:
bathroomswap said:
Oh yes. Without hesitation (or deviation or repetition). Yes. (OK then, with repetition).

[thread hijack]Ah, a JAM fan :D I heard a woman with the theme tune as her ring tone the other day and nearly asked her to Bluetooth it to me :LOL: [/thread hijack]

bathroomswap said:
Ah, a JAM fan :D
You betcha! Zillions of shows over the course of 38 years says it all. to Ian Messiter rocks:)

Softus said:
oilman said:
A sadly typical joe post. Riddled with flaws. I have a garden wall spalled to hell, reason? water runs down it when it rains NOTHING to do with rising damp. I have a house wall 7metres high , some of the bricks are spalling, why? you guessed it, R A I N W A T E R. It is NOT rising damp. Now listen to Konrad, he seems to know quite a lot more than most of us.
Too true oilman, on all counts.

Reading Konrad's postings are like getting all of my Chrismas presents, ever, in one go. I'm going to spend hours happily reading his information, glowing in the affirmation of my suspicions.

Only one thing could make this post better, which is if joe-90 were to reappear and attempt to contradict Konrad. Please joe - would you? Pretty please? Just for me (and oilman I dare say)?

You were right, he's at it again.

Joe, your guitar playing is great, as for rising damp, your real name isn't Rigsby is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back