Rising damp on party wall - short term fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Victorian terraced house has rising damp in the kitchen. It's evident on the party wall to the neighbouring property, and the rear wall to my conservatory - wall paper is peeling off at the joins up to about 18". The party wall includes a disused chimney breast and the paper is peeling on that and in the alcoves, one of which has units fitted. I don't know if the exterior wall opposite is damp as it's completely obscured by units and appliances.

I know that ideally I should fully investigate and if necessary end up replastering - but that would mean taking out units, lifting the vinyl floor covering, lifting the nailed hard board and lifting the floorboards. Too much hassle and aggro! The house has shallow foundations on London clay and there is an earth subfloor below the joists, but I have no idea what is causing this damp several feet from any external wall. I've checked the roof and repointed some of the chimney stack so I don't think the damp is coming down. I think it's been around for a long time and I'm happy to live with it but I would like to mask it as much as possible.

The peeling paper is vinyl which presumably inhibits the wall from 'breathing', but at the same time if it can be stuck firmly it can mask the damp (which it has done up to now), and it needs to be washable as it's in a kitchen. I think painted plaster would let the damp through as well as encouraging condensation.

What is the best damp block treatment that will at least keep the damp at bay for a while and enable me to re-paper? I just want a quick fix - even if it's not going to last!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back