Risk of cracking ceramic kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ve got some nice ceramic kitchen sinks and we’re nervous about cracking them by fixing on the mixer taps. The taps have black plastic seals underneath them (see pic) which would be in contact with the top of the sinks when attached. We wonder whether we need additional washers such as polythene washers between the tap and sink top (see pic) to protect the ceramic sink?

Attachments

• 31084E0D-3622-4263-8EF7-DC4ACFD67ACF.jpeg
    31084E0D-3622-4263-8EF7-DC4ACFD67ACF.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 7E6EC10B-10C1-4B4A-A8E5-BEBE0E66655E.jpeg
    7E6EC10B-10C1-4B4A-A8E5-BEBE0E66655E.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 32F72623-96D2-47C3-8F88-1C52B08BABC6.jpeg
    32F72623-96D2-47C3-8F88-1C52B08BABC6.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 97
  • 649BD2BB-0697-4981-8B13-78B5C3D0173C.jpeg
    649BD2BB-0697-4981-8B13-78B5C3D0173C.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
1. You shouldn't need anything else under the black rubber seal. This seal compresses slightly on tightening to:
1a. Stop water going under the body of the tap. Introducing another washer might interfere with this function.
1b. Prevent the tap from rotating. Again, another washer, particularly a non-rubber one, might stop this working.
2. Tightening the tap has the basin in compression, and its much less likely to crack in this way.

Make sure the seal in the tap base and the basin are squeaky clean and dry. Shouldn't need to overtighen the tap down, just till it grips and doesn't move/spin.

As others have said, you don't need anything else.

If you used the polythene washers, the seal between the base of the tap and washer would be fine, but you would be likely to leaks between the washer and sink.

Generally, one uses a box spanner to tighten the retaining nut on the tap. The "tommy" bars to tighten the box spanners are unlikely to be long enough to provide enough torque to damage the ceramic finish.

Sponsored Links
I chuck the rubber washers as the collect grime. Use a clear silicon and clean off excess

Bodger.
No silicone needed if installed correctly.

Johnny the the push fit plumber...

The amount of times I see these rubber flanges clearly visible between the tap and basin... I know what's best

Johnny the the push fit plumber...

The amount of times I see these rubber flanges clearly visible between the tap and basin... I know what's best
If the rubber is visible it means that the tap has not been fitted correctly.
Don't know what you mean by "the push fit plumber.
Yes, I use hep2o nowadays but I also use soldered copper when needed.
I understand that some old school plumbers insist on having everything in copper (and charge accordingly), but times move on.
I'm not a plumber anyway, but my installations never leaked.
Could it be that because I am not a professional plumber I take greater care on every joint???

Your right. But if you've been given a cheap badley designed tap to fit then sometimes the washers are useless.

Don't confuse a rubber washers with an O ring.
If the tap base is designed with a groove/seating designed to house a washer or a O ring then great
But that's obvious that the two go together.
Some taps don't have that and just sit proud. If that's the case then chuck it.

Screenshot_20220516-051032_Google.jpg

Perfect example...

Clearly the washers are proud

what would you have done different here?

Last edited:
Something like this would have an O ring seal on the shroud. But this would be obvious to any monkey the the O ring has a place to go

Screenshot_20220516-051251_Google.jpg

View attachment 269838
Perfect example...

Clearly the washers are proud

what would you have done different here?
Not the op's case.
Those contractors taps are meant to have a visible rubber, unlike the op's tap which has a o-ring sitting in a groove as you rightly pointed out.
Removing that o-ring or fitting it incorrectly will result in water dripping under the sink.
That o-ring is there to stay and doesn't need any sealant.

Not the op's case.
Those contractors taps are meant to have a visible rubber, unlike the op's tap which has a o-ring sitting in a groove as you rightly pointed out.
Removing that o-ring or fitting it incorrectly will result in water dripping under the sink.
That o-ring is there to stay and doesn't need any sealant.

Your correct I should have been more observant..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back