Roller marks everywhere

I do the same but I thin the paint as per the instructions on the tin. I think you may have over thinned the mist coat.

Right ok, so where do I got from there then? I thinned it to the consitency I always have done.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if anyone will get this as it’s been a while.
Basically I purchased a dearer paint. It’s made no difference. In fact, lines in the same places so upon further inspection, it looks like the texture in the marked areas looks different, it as flat. The plasterboard was plastered and had a mist coat. Is this just the board sucking the paint in or something? I wasn’t to get it perfect whilst it’s empty. Looks fine without natural light.
Should I have used a proper primer? Almost as if it’s not going on the same flatness all over.

I seem to get this problem a lot more than I did years ago.

I re-did one wall in my place (because a repair was needed). Was rollering in an up and down fashion as you describe.

When it dried, nothing but stripes. Various other coats, still stripes. Never used to get this, what's different?

I then tried the leftovers of a 20 year tub of emulsion, and that gave the most perfect finish.

I don't think my application technique differed that much, though I think on that particular coat i rolled the paint on the wall in a very random manner, and then almost immediately, rolled it out up and down, in 4 ft widths at a time I think.

I know I was working bloody fast, so hard to remember what I did at the time.

So, like you are wondering now, was it my technique, or the quality of the paint?

I seem to get this problem a lot more than I did years ago.

I re-did one wall in my place (because a repair was needed). Was rollering in an up and down fashion as you describe.

When it dried, nothing but stripes. Various other coats, still stripes. Never used to get this, what's different?

I then tried the leftovers of a 20 year tub of emulsion, and that gave the most perfect finish.

I don't think my application technique differed that much, though I think on that particular coat i rolled the paint on the wall in a very random manner, and then almost immediately, rolled it out up and down, in 4 ft widths at a time I think.

I know I was working bloody fast, so hard to remember what I did at the time.

So, like you are wondering now, was it my technique, or the quality of the paint?

I’ve painted this poxy ceiling 5 times. This time I hadn’t spots in. Now they are out and I’ve had to repair the majority of the holes. Now waiting for it to dry. The last time I painted it with Dulux supermatt. I definitely left a wet edge. Same marks are making me thinks it’s an uneven surface from when I painted it with Leyland super latex in the sun that was drying to fast. There are just loads of tiny craters everywhere.
The only thing I ain’t tried is a long nap.

Sponsored Links
Hello BURTS. I am having EXACTLY this problem and have not been able to get to the bottom of it. Im a proffessional and this is the first time I'm experiencing this but interestingly it is with Leyland Trade Vinyl Matte and I'm working on a fairly warm ceiling. I'm dying to know- did you every get to the bottom of this issue? And HOW?/ Or if anyone else has managed to resolve a similar issue please share

C94AC064-B02B-46BA-9076-7FDEAE9C95F4.jpeg
Hello BURTS. I am having EXACTLY this problem and have not been able to get to the bottom of it. Im a proffessional and this is the first time I'm experiencing this but interestingly it is with Leyland Trade Vinyl Matte and I'm working on a fairly warm ceiling. I'm dying to know- did you every get to the bottom of this issue? And HOW?/ Or if anyone else has managed to resolve a similar issue please share

Nope. Didn’t get to the bottom of it. Thing is now, I tried so many different things and paint that I may have encountered a couple of different issues.
I’ve attached a photo, it’s hard to see, it has been sanded with 120 grit and you can still see some of the deep little holes. What you may think are raised bumps, they’re not they are tiny holes.

I’ve took my spots back down, repaired damaged and now just going to try patch testing of 1m sq area. Maybe mist coats with diluting paint just ain’t no good anymore. Wondering whether a primer will fill these tiny holes, as just patch tested and it don’t seem to do much

I've painted a small hot room today with Leyland trade hard wearing matt and think its one of the best paints I've used.
The led light was awful, so kept loosing the edge but surface dried like a sheet of a4 paper.

I've painted a small hot room today with Leyland trade hard wearing matt and think its one of the best paints I've used.
The led light was awful, so kept loosing the edge but surface dried like a sheet of a4 paper.

Is that just to say I must be a rubbish painter
I don’t know what’s gone on or why it’s drying like that.
Now I feel the only way to start again is to mass fill the tiny holes with easi fill which would take ages.

I'm considering pole sanding the whole ceiling with 120 grit sandpaper, then cleaning and rolling a full cot of a zinsser primer and then painting 2 coats of a better quality ceiling paint. I will call zinsser technical tomorrow for advice and report back.
Any feedback on my suggested plan of action with zinsser primer very welcome!

Not at all, just saying its a forgiving paint if I can get it looking good

I’m only joking. I don’t know why I didn’t just buy a Wagner paint sprayer. Would have been much simpler and an investment.

So my problem is now the different texture. Would a sprayer fill these imperfections? Or will I literally have to fill them smooth?

Because even a 120 grit didn’t really smooth it out.

I'm considering pole sanding the whole ceiling with 120 grit sandpaper, then cleaning and rolling a full cot of a zinsser primer and then painting 2 coats of a better quality ceiling paint. I will call zinsser technical tomorrow for advice and report back.
Any feedback on my suggested plan of action with zinsser primer very welcome!

Will a primer fill the holes?
I pole sanded mine with 120 grit and done sod all really. You have ri be pressing very hard and take an eternity to get smooth. Im going to buy myself a new toy and get a sprayer.

The property I'm doing at the mo, the wall up the stairs through two floors had a coat of heavily dimpled paint so hard nothing would touch it .
It was too much wall for me to skim so went over it with my old favourite of Gyproc ready mixed joint cement spread with a grouting float then rubbed it down.....not for the purists but turned out pretty good.

The property I'm doing at the mo, the wall up the stairs through two floors had a coat of heavily dimpled paint so hard nothing would touch it .
It was too much wall for me to skim so went over it with my old favourite of Gyproc ready mixed joint cement spread with a grouting float then rubbed it down.....not for the purists but turned out pretty good.

It would be relatively easy to mix a bucket of easi fill and skim scrape over the entire ceiling. Just so annoying as I had it plastered and painted so many times. I’ve new plastered walls inside, done the same as this ceiling and are fine.

So spray won’t fill holes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back