RONTE CENTRAL HEATING SYSTEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone any personal knowledge of the above system. I am thinking of replacing my storage heating as it claims to be more economical.

Sponsored Links
No but. Nothing is more economical. Electric is electric.
One kw is one Kw.
If you want more economical you need to go to an air source heat pump
when 1kW produces approx 3kW of heat.

Emile B. Ronte ( a pseudonym ) posts here . maybe they know :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I have total control which gives you 8 boost in a 24 hour period for the storage heaters. Would the ronte system or the likes run on total control or is it just for storage heaters. I have looked at similar systems such as Elka and intelliheat. No natural gas available so it's either electric or oil.

I have total control which gives you 8 boost in a 24 hour period for the storage heaters. Would the ronte system or the likes run on total control or is it just for storage heaters. I have looked at similar systems such as Elka and intelliheat. No natural gas available so it's either electric or oil.

Total control is for storage heaters. Any electricity you use outside the total control times will be super-expensive peak rate.

The Rointe heaters are not storage heaters, they are expensive electric radiators and work no differently to a £20 heater from Argos.

Electrician said today that he can plug them into the total
control system so they will work off the cheaper electric. Not sure if they will hold the heat until the next boost that is my concern.

Electrician said today that he can plug them into the total
control system so they will work off the cheaper electric. Not sure if they will hold the heat until the next boost that is my concern.

No, they will not. They are not storage heaters and are compleletly unsuitable for use on any form of off-peak heating system.

If your electrician is saying they are suitable for use on total control then report him to Trading Standards and have nothing more to do with him.

I visited Barra shortly after the causeway to Vatasay had been built. I was there to make arrangements to build a TV relay station for the BBC.

The causeway cost about £4M and was to road link to Vatasay with a population of less than 300 ! A wartime flying boat crashed there and parts may still be on the hills.

I called the office from the public phone on Vatasay and had this feeling that it must have been one of the most remote public phones in the UK !

Those islands seemed pretty remote to me and over 200 miles from the nearest Indian restaurant which is in Oban ( and not very good )! But most of a days journey with the ferries! Less in a plane which landed on the beach at low tide! The airport building was like a bus shelter then with a seat for about six and open on the seaward side so you could watch for the plane! Now its a bit bigger.

Barra-Airport-Canthusus.JPG

At this time of year, i'm installing loads of electric heating!

The £20 heaters from Argos do the job, however i've installed rointe rads in several properties now and i've found them to be very good. The heat output is good and the thermostatic controls are accurate.

If you shop around CEF etc, you can get a good price on these rads.

Good picture Agile of the airport in Barra. Airport more comfy now and even has a good cafe.

Talking of a "cafe" you remind me of a January 7th gale in Lochmaddy with the sea breaking over the road.

The friendly message at the George Hotel where I had "booked" failed to tell me it was closed for the winter.

The only place open was the Seaman's Mission with heated up frozen food and they put me in touch with Mrs xxxx who gave me B&B. Just getting unpacked when the power went off for the night. She gave me a hot water bottle and the real eider duck down meant that I was still plenty warm in the morning when she made me a nice cooked breakfast!

The next day I thought I would live in luxury and booked into the two* hotel in Oban on the waterfront. Turned out to be a big mistake. I was shivering all night long even though wearing my weather protection clothes in bed! At least the Indian retaurant was only half bad.

Still only Twin Otters at Barra ? Or can they get an F27 onto the beach?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STqmbc8k9rU

Tony

No only twin otters, 2 new ones are on order so we can keep the airport going for years to come.

I looked at the flight schedules and there are flights listed from Barra to about 11 different destinations. Those are with some connections though.

Quite a lot of possibilities apparently. I never took any of those local flights though because the local BBC manager was good fun and I always went by car with him as he knew the area and people.

Seems the economy has grately improved since I was there. I remember meeting the local Counseller/MP or something who was complaining that most there were only just scraping a living and badly needed the TV which I was bringing to the island! Hardly the jet setting ( or turboprop ) class!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back