roof for my extension??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im currently having plans drawn up for my extension and i dont want to take the roof off, ive seen this roof design and was wondering whether it was okay?

my concerns are the gully, but ive seen it done on other houses please see pictures.

any help or advice would be well apreciated thanks

these are just sketches

nick

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Just looking at it from a roofing point of view that design catches a lot of water, and its best avoided in my opinion.

thanks for the reply, how would you suggest to do it?

The planner said i could have the hip roof and and a flat roof behind it, but i dont like the idea of having a flat roof. The problem i have is the ridge runs from back to front and not side ways.

Could a roofer put a slight gradient on the gully for the water to run off?

Its not clear to me what's existing and what's proposed. This will help us to answer your query. At first glance it seems sensible to just have a hipped roof but as mentioned its not clear what's existing.

Sponsored Links
the existing roof is the one on the left the photo is of someoneelses extension, the pictures i have done show the existing roof on the right side.
We are having a double story extension attached to the right hand side of the house.

the two pictures on the right, are my ideas to join the roof.

I will not be doing it myself it will be done by proper roofers.

thanks again for the replys

ditto fmt's point.

Having recently turned a ridge with hip end into a returned ridge with a new hip, we were able to strip the tiles from the important area, leaving the membrane in place to maintain weather-proofing, Day 1.
Add in the new trusses and the new ridge board, and make good with membrane in one day, Day 2.
Strip out unwanted membrane from the old roof, now under the new roof, Day 3.
That was myself, a DIYer, and two relatives who are also, just DIYers.

I suspect a builder could achieve that in one day.

The tiles etc can then be installed at leisure.

Edit: Almost identical to our situation. The only difference is that we were working on a bugalow.

the thing i was on about is called a box gutter, ive found a site that tells you how to do it, if its done correctly its supposed to be okay.

My options are either have this, have a flat roof or have the complete roof removed and refitted, which i can not really afford.

heres a picture

I think it's doable without removing much more of the roof than where the new roof will meet the old, using the technique I've already mentioned.

You could then have a mansard roof (where the flat bit is at the top) on the extension.

I think it's doable without removing much more of the roof than where the new roof will meet the old, using the technique I've already mentioned.

You could then have a mansard roof (where the flat bit is at the top) on the extension.

ive seen that so the roof would be flat from the original to the new?

Ill have to have a word with the archietect, cheers for the help guys.

From each side it'll look like it goes up to a ridge. Only when comparing the different aspects at the corners will it be obvious that there is a flat roof at the top.
Just like a pyramid with the top sliced off and a lid put on.
It'll also give you a large loft area. Simpler wiring, plumbing, insulation etc.

From each side it'll look like it goes up to a ridge. Only when comparing the different aspects at the corners will it be obvious that there is a flat roof at the top.
Just like a pyramid with the top sliced off and a lid put on.
It'll also give you a large loft area. Simpler wiring, plumbing, insulation etc.

something like this>?

i like that aswell ill see what the architect says and ill get some prices. thanks again

If you're thinking of using trusses and you have sufficient room, you could consider 'room in the roof' trusses. You don't have to develop the room in the roof straight away but it would save a great deal of work and expense in the future, for a small additional outlay now.
The insulation would have to go at rafter level, rather than at ceiling level, which would also be slightly more expensive. You could feasibly do it at ceiling level now and change it later, but, again for the additional outlay now, you might as well do it right first time.

Some more experienced posters might have an idea on the additional cost involved, assuming you're not intending on developing the loft room yet.

It might be worth a new separate topic in the building forum.

1. the hip roof plane at the front of the property can be developed to the main ( extended ) ridge line and a proposed rear hip can be taken up to meet it. In other words, that end of the house will be conventionally hipped, all planes to meet at the ridge.

Perhaps this has been suggested, i'm too tired to read all the posts.

2. Run away from box gutters - dont even think it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back