roof holes?

you do not need a ladder , stand out back (or front ) and look, it will be like a jig saw , but if one is missing you should notice it by the "odd pattern" have you a pair of binoculars you could use, i have heard of surveyors doing this as no ladder required

Sponsored Links
Anna, did you not have a survey done when you bought the place

hi - been a while since ive been here. yup had a basic survey done. he said that there didnt appear to be a problem but should keep an eye on any slipping slates.

I probably should have seen that as a hint to get it looked at properly.

Ive now had someone out to look at it, after i noticed that the walls were getting rather damp from the top. He confirmed that there is a problem with the tiles and so needs quite a bit of repair work...i blame the stormy weather over the past couple of weeks.

He suggested that i could either have it re roofed at a cost of 2000quid with man-made slates (is this good stuff). or just repair the damaged tiles and have it releaded and something about 'rejoisting or joining' (forgotten what that was), and getting a breeze brick in the chimney as well........but should cost around £200 to do.
Does this sound about right?

Duracem fibre cement slates are fine, though not as nice as real slate by any stretch.
i would bet your slates would fetch a pretty penny when sold to a reclaims yard, bear in mind the slates are often good for fifty more years it is the nails that have perished and causing the slates to slip, known as nail fatigue or nail sickness, sounds a very reasonable if not too cheap a price to me Anna.
Get a price for relaying your existing slate and dont allways go for the cheapest unless you can see some of his other jobs or you have been recommended them.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back