Roof missing gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ello, had new fascia and gutter installed and there's now insufficient overhang causing a waterfall down side of house. Roofer suggesting eaves guard will resolve but just want to get some opinion on this. As can see from pic there's barely a cm overhang.

Attachments

• 20190204_085316.jpg
    20190204_085316.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 438
Sponsored Links
Hard to tell from that picture but did they fit new fascia board over the old one?
Yes, I wasn't keen as the old wooden fascia was well worn but roofer assured me it wasn't rotten so attached over the old

Well he's a lazy roofer isn't he? Get him back to do it properly- either take the old fascia board off & refit the new, use different gutter brackets (if you can get any with less standoff than yours have) or fit felt support trays WITHOUT ripping the nails out of the lower course of slate & fixing them back in with tingles. The felt trays will be a nuisance- the end will be dipping in the gutter so if you have leaf problems, expect them to double.

Sponsored Links
Ello, had new fascia and gutter installed and there's now insufficient overhang causing a waterfall down side of house. Roofer suggesting eaves guard will resolve but just want to get some opinion on this. As can see from pic there's barely a cm overhang.

I did my own front and rear square gutter, I allowed a three inch overlap at the end, because on a long run it expands and contracts quite a bit. I also made sure it was dead straight and had a proper fall towards the fall pipe, so it would self clear. I also did a complete soffit and facia install first. This around ten years ago cost around £200 for the parts needed and took a couple of days. I had been quoted £800 and £1200 to do the job, but didn't trust either to do it right.

The reason I was forced to do it, nothing wrong with our then fairly new half round PVC- next door had employed a botcher to replace their original alloy round gutters with PVC square, fit soffits and fascias and made a mess of the job. Their gutter was installed roughly level, with sags, held water and rather than buying a proper half round to square adaptor had fixed to the shared fall pipe with a self tapper and silicon sealer, which soon began leaking and discharging down our walls. They refused to call the installer back to sort it out properly. So rather than argue, I decided to replace ours to match.

In your case, I would suggest calling the installer back to install a piece which is long enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back