Roof pitch

Sponsored Links
27 degrees ain't steep, but it is not that flat either.

what sort of tiles do you have on the roof?

Sponsored Links
there are at least two manufacturers who supply tiles that will deal with a 15deg pitch.

marley - wessex is one. ;)

I worked for many years as a slater and tiler /advanced craft/roofing lecturer/now Chartered Surveyor.And as advised previously some tiles as the Marley wessex go down to 15 degrees.I would advise that on a roof pitch as low as this it is difficult to weather a profiled tile.It may be advisable to allow a more than sufficiant covering of the flashing ie a min 9 inches,with straps used every 1m to hold the excess weight of the cover flashing to the structure.The Cheapest option depending on the covering and quality of finish required is to remove the existing flashing and clean all surfaces to roof and structure.Then use pva to roof and structure,further using pva in cement mortar 1:3 /colouring in mortar as necessary.and seal as required.It may be useful to cut plain tiles to provide decorative finish.I have seen abutments completed as this many times on London properties ie. through terraces,and although it is unconventional and can be used over the top of existing cover flashings on occasion,it may be useful at times where the cost and replacement of the entire roof are an issue.I don't like eternit slates but they do work at times on low pitches and are easier to form a seal with a cover flashing at relatively low pitches.

I know that for some of the low pitch jobs I have seen a double staggered layer of breather membrane is specified. If you use tiles that work for that low a pitch, you need to observe the recommended over lap for the pitch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back