Roof pitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning a single story extension with a sloped roof and electric velux windows. According to Waltham Forest Council, under permitted development rules the maximum hight of the eves is 2.7m and the top bit of the roof must not exceed 3.3m.
In the current provisional design the pitch of the roof is 20 degrees but the eves are 2.45 meters high. Would it be a problem to raise the evevs and in doing so reduce the pitch of the roof below 20 degrees?

Sponsored Links
I sent a query to Waltham Forest planning dept and I was informed that my application will not need prior approval if the height of the eves doesn't exceed 2.7m and the top bit of the roof does not exceed 3.3m. If I design the evens at 2.7 meters that will be ideal for me but i will have to reduce the pitch because the height of the top bit of the roof is restricted by my upstairs windows. Would it be ok to reduce the pitch of the roof to less than 20 degrees?

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/roof-pitch.442687/#ixzz3mZCdUkt0

Sponsored Links
Why do you want eaves at 2.7m? That will look odd
I'd like to raise the hight of the eves to 2.55m to allow the external wall to be 2.6m high (up to ceiling hight). Raising the eves by that much will reduce the pitch of the roof bellow 20 degrees, maybe 15 degrees. Is that sensible/workable?

Waltham Forest Council must be above the law.
There must me a misunderstanding here. I'm not saying that the council won't approve a build with dimentiins beyond what I mentioned above. My question was in the main about raising the eves by 15 cm and reducing the pitch of the roof by about 5 degrees. Would that pose a problem?

There are a few tiles which will go down to 15 degrees - Marley 'Wessex' comes to mind - there are others.

We're a fickle bunch (some of us) and we like to know the FACTS before we answer! :cool:
Sure. i guess it is a long story and I tried to make it brief and in doing so i may have missed out some of the facts. What information do i need to post to help you answer my query

Mendips are now acceptable down to 15 degrees, subject to a maximum rafter length and min. headlap.

Marley appear to have reduced the allowable pitch recently on a number of products, including the eternit slates.

I'd like to raise the hight of the eves to 2.55m to allow the external wall to be 2.6m high

I still don't understand why you are basing the design of your extension on the roof pitch.

When you have a lot of brickwork between the top of the frames and the eaves soffit it looks wrong and out of proportion. Likewise for eaves fascias that are too deep. It needs to look right.

Will your design match your house in terms of the distance above the windows to the soffit, soffit width and fascia depth?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back