Roof pitch

I meant to add, your risk of ingress does depend on your location, a sheltered site will cope much better than an exposed site

Sponsored Links
Call me old fashioned, but I say whoever did the plans works out the roof angle. The chippie justs cuts the wood and nails it together.
Correct.
A pro' would not blithely proceed though Woods whilst knowing that the roof pitch is not going to be suited to interlocking tiles, without a wee conflab, especially if the roof materials have prior approval etc.

As said, a conversation between designer and trades would have been useful.

IT is a straight forward pitch with no veluxs or valleys just a straight forward slab. I’d say itis pretty sheltered not to windy only open to the elements directly Obove.
I’d say it’s a mixture of people to be at fault including me. I should of double checked the pitch before ordering tiles and putting batters down.
But now I jus have to do the right thing

Sponsored Links
Okay, in the face of unwithering fires, I'll raise the white flag and surrender; it wasn't the chippies fault, and someone else screwed up somewhere.

So, what are the recommendations then.

As noseall has implied... a roof won't magically start leaking at 14.9 degrees and below. It'll just leak on those odd days where it's particularly hammering it down and the wind is in just the right direction at just the right strength. How bad this is in reality will depend on whether the extension is North/South facing, whether it's sheltered by a larger two-storey building on two sides, whether it's like swiss cheese with veluxes and cut outs... and if so how good was the attention to detail from the fitters.

By going below spec on the pitch you'll lose all margin for error, wiggle room, and weathering tolerance.

It’s south facing and a little sheltered. Thanks for every once advise Iam taking it on board. Aswel Asa gamble by the sounds of it

Put a strip of membrane between each lath so that this strip covers the laps in the existing membrane. This will stop any wind driven rain that gets through the tiles from being blown up the laps, and will ensure that the roof is water proof.

However, if building control are involved then the inspector may well fail the tiles anyway if they are below minimum pitch.

It’s south facing and a little sheltered. Thanks for every once advise Iam taking it on board. Aswel Asa gamble by the sounds of it

If it was me I'd definitely chuck the dice if your BCO is the sort that just turn up for 30 seconds and don't give you too much of a hard time.

Sorry there Woody bit confused on what you ment about a strip of membrane between the laths?
I have put a 150ml overlap with the membane, if I could further protect that would be great?

foto_no_exif (9).jpg

Ok thanks Woody that looks like a good idea that’s do able. Every little thing will help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back