Roof Truss Metal Plates - Mending Plates - Need Help!

Sponsored Links
Is this forum DIY Not, or DI Why Not?

Thanks for the support guys!

Clearly I am trying to achieve the impossible. Never in the history of mankind has a decent roof truss been made without the use of a machine in a factory.

Glad we cleared that up! ;)

Good job guys!

Clearly I am trying to achieve the impossible. Never in the history of mankind has a decent roof truss been made without the use of a machine in a factory.

Clearly, either you can not read or you are just not getting what we are saying.

You CAN build a truss, but it won't be anything like what is made at the factory. It will be much bulkier and much more expensive to build.

In the interests of economy and common sense we have suggested you seek another method, i.e. either a cut roof or buy factory made trusses.....ah f**k it, you are a smart arse who will not listen. Crack on muppet - it's your building and your wallet.

Obviously you need the point hammered into your head, subtlety doesn’t appear to be working.

Yes it is possible, but if you have to ask how, you shouldn’t be doing it, you need a certain level of knowledge that you won’t be given on a forum.

In theory it could work, in theory you could copy the design, size of timbers (using suitably graded timber, not the cheap timber you clearly intend to buy), press in the plates. There would be some slight differences in the plates capacity (the mending plate has less nails where the wording is stamped).

Now, how the hell are you going to prove the structure if someone asks you to?

*if* it falls down on someone’s head, which arguably would be unlikely if you carefully construct it, but *if* it does.

You are up **** creek without a paddle for building an unsafe building.

Geddit yet?

Sponsored Links
Aron raises a fair point that nobody has mentioned before - so thank you for that!

I'm not a smart ass but frustrated that people seem dead set on doing something one way, but give no real reason why.

I'm getting quotes for trusses now actually, but I expect them to come in way over the cost of making your own. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong and you'll be proven right!!

Have you thought of using plywood for the gussets instead of metal plates?

The trusses would look a bit clumsier, but you will be able to get more reliable
fixings (nails/screws/glue or whatever) as the gussets could be made a lot bigger, thereby spreading the stress down greater lengths of the timber.

Hi Tony

Yes, I have looked at this option and was seriously considering it.

I noted they do this quite a lot on Canadian builds (and they know a little something about timber builds!!!)

There's a guide to building your own trusses I found which is useful and gives calculations etc, also by a Canadian, and they do it with plywood plates.

But god forbid you don't get them made for you in a factory [that is called sarcasm before you kill me!] :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back