Roof Window regulations non habitable space

J

jethro123

I have an old bungalow and want to install roof windows into the loft however the loft itself will not be converted and not generally used other than storage - Planning ahead while i need to do some re felting , new batons etc and making the roof watertight
As I am planning ahead for sometime in the future I will install one means of escape window at the correct hight plus 3 others ( long loft) double up on the rafters etc

I know i do not need planning permission but do i need building regulation approval. ? if i do not intend to make the space habitable.

Sponsored Links
Jethro, are you intending for this space to be 'habitable' in the future and therefore want to construct it meet the building regs for habitable spaces?

Hi - yes sometime several years away so the roof windows will need to be installed with any regulation in mind to the correct spec . As i need some remedial roof work done now, remove tiles replace felt with breathing membrane and put new batons in i thought this would be a good oportunity to do the work now.

If you’re willing to carry out all the work required to meet current Building Regs now why don’t you submit for approval now and have done with it? The Regs could change in the future and any work you’ve done now may not meet the requirements when you come to submit. I am not sure where you would stand with regularisation in this scenario but it could be a headache.

The current part B regs (April 07) no longer require escape windows at second floor level which I assume is where your loft is. Feel free to install escape windows if you want but they are no longer a requirement. Part B does require all houses with loft conversions at second floor to have fully protected routes (ie all doors abutting the escape route changed to fire doors, except bathrooms). They also no longer require self-closing devices to be fitted to the fire doors (except to integral garages). You have also got fire detection systems to consider and Part L etc.

hth

Sponsored Links
The fitting of a rooflight does not in itself require a b/regs application, but any alteration of the roof structure - ie removing a section of rafter to fit the rooflight, will.

Changing the tiles to a type which are not similar to the existing ones, will also require an application.

Regulations may change between now and when the loft is converted, and so conforming to todays requirements does not guarantee that the rooflights will be acceptable when you come to do the conversion

The current part B regs (April 07) no longer require escape windows at second floor level which I assume is where your loft is.

Its a bungalow, so the loft conversion will be a 1st floor room and therefore will require escape windows (in todays regulations anyway) just like any other two storey house

Thank you for all the replies - the same tiles will be refitted but the alteration of rafters to accommodate the widows looks like the main point here. I'll get the correct regs approved before starting.
Jethro 123

Sorry - yes you are correct Woody. I forgot this was a bungalow.
:oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back