Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchase my first home
The surveyor has stated the roof has a proprietary plastic membrane.
is he right? photos below
The surveyor also said the bay window area is dry lined . he wrong there no dry lining. All the doors are on upside down. which wasn't picked up in survey Should he have picked this up in the survey

Attachments

• roof1.JPG
    roof1.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 101
  • roof2.JPG
    roof2.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
My mum recently bought a old property. Paid £67448886368 for a survey and they didn't even attempt to get into the loft. They missed penetrating damp on gable wall. Missed alsorts ! Better to have a look yourself!

The membrane is fine. It was common around 20 years ago.
Keep an eye open for condensation... There appears to be a venting system installed in one of the underlay laps. This indicates a possible issue in the past or someone forward thinking.. Then again it might be nothing. Hard to tell in the pictures
Do the doors work?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
But is the surveyor right with his statement that it is proprietary plastic membrane?
The surveyor did say the house has a condensation issue Which i believe not to be the case I think its raising and penetrating damp.
Has he got the roof structure wrong aswell?
So far i know he has the doors wrong
and the bay window area. He stated that he was unable to inspect bay window area due to dry lining but there no drying.

No it's not propriatary. Its a standard plastic [polyethylene] membrane which came into fashion in the 80's as a potential felt alernative before breathable membranes became common.

Any house condensation issue is not related to that felt, and in most cases will be related to whoever lived in it previously

Condensation is very common. Rising damp isn't. Post some photos in the "building" section.

Isn't that the reinforced placcy membrane that was advertised by Geoff Capes standing on it?

Yes Jeff did stand on one and never went through. I remember the leaflet. but there were others too. this being one of them.
I cant remember the name of the product but it was marketed specifically as a roofing underlay
The surveyor in question here was not wrong at all.
The Bay, what difference does it make if its "dry lined" or not? you still couldn't survey much without being destructive.
Condensation, it looks like a product is in use between the felt laps.. it probably needs more.

Yes Jeff did stand on one and never went through. I remember the leaflet. but there were others too. this being one of them.
I cant remember the name of the product but it was marketed specifically as a roofing underlay
The surveyor in question here was not wrong at all.
The Bay, what difference does it make if its "dry lined" or not? you still couldn't survey much without being destructive.
Condensation, it looks like a product is in use between the felt laps.. it probably needs more.

It makes a big difference
The surveyor said its a modern roof which is not He was wrong on the bay windows and all the doors in the house I think he wrong on the condensation issue i had a builder tell be that the floors are pushing moisture into the walls and need replacing.and the front of the house needs repointing.
I am have lost faith in my surveyor he took my money and haven't paid much attention my my house.

i had a builder tell be that the floors are pushing moisture into the walls and need replacing.and the front of the house needs repointing.

Omg seriously? That's terrible, what a stupid surveyor.

That work obviously needs doing, and it seems that the builder is the best person to do it and take your money. I'm sure he would love to help you out.

SMFH.

It makes a big difference .
How, exactly?

The surveyor said its a modern roof which is not .
It looks like it has been modernised at some point to me.
He was wrong on the bay windows and all the doors in the house .
In what way was he wrong? A door will still serve a purpose the wrong way up.

I think he wrong on the condensation issue i had a builder tell be that the floors are pushing moisture into the walls and need replacing.and the front of the house needs repointing.
Perhaps he saw your late 2016 model Audi outside and felt the need to tell you something.

"It makes a big difference " Please explain how? or post some pictures will help everyone understand.

Again, You have a anti condensation device in your loft. to combat rising damp .??
How about an external picture then i'll tell you if its modern or not.

Ref the underlay, Most merchants sold it at one point.. including the now SIG branches

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back