(Roofing?) Batten

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking for some 2x1 (ish) batten which is both kiln dried & treated. I know CLS is like this, but doesn't come that small. Roofing batten is the right size & some websites specify that it's dried, but the places near me I've looked at online (Bradfords, Buildbase, Wickes) don't state if it's kiln-dried or not. I suspect this is because everyone who's bought roofing batten knows already whether it's kiln-dried or not - but I've never bought it! Can anyone fill me in? Or with an alternative? I'd like to order online today so can't just go and look. :/

Thanks a lot,
Adam

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I assumed all standard timber nowadays is kiln dried due to cost, do you mean as opposed to air dried or just left"green"?
Too late for you now perhaps, but you can take a pin moisture meter with you if you want to check the wood hasn't been left outside in the rain for months.

Yes, I see what you mean - but stuff which is sold for use outdoors (& hence treated) isn't dry (& warps as it does dry out in my experience). I suppose by that logic the roofing batten would be dried as it's intended to be "inside" but I expected it to say it was, if so.

You can get kiln dired and treated roofing battens - Not all roofing battens are kiln dried but they are usually dry before treatment. So you will have to shop around for a supplier that meets your specification as it is out there.

Also consider you can always cut down timber to a smaller size with a circular saw.

Sponsored Links
Also consider you can always cut down timber to a smaller size with a circular saw.
You can and it's a good idea, but then it wouldn't be treated on that side, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Yes, I see what you mean - but stuff which is sold for use outdoors (& hence treated) isn't dry (& warps as it does dry out in my experience). I suppose by that logic the roofing batten would be dried as it's intended to be "inside" but I expected it to say it was, if so.
Roofing batten is outside (it's outside the insulation and ventilated to outside)
It will absorb humidity from the air and will probably stay around 20% moisture according to the season.
No timber will last if it's wet all the time, but even if it's soaked during rain and then dries out the moisture content will be quite stable.
Timber for inside joinery can be dried to a lower content but I'm not sure how accurate these things are. Even between summer and winter your inside timber will change.

You can get kiln dired and treated roofing battens -

Really? Treatment is a wet treatment so I can't understand where the drying would come in. Certainly not afterwards as treatment is intended for external use.

Really? Treatment is a wet treatment so I can't understand where the drying would come in. Certainly not afterwards as treatment is intended for external use.
Woody normally you're the bible of building if a little terse, but you've been on the booze tonight! :LOL:Either that or my eyes are affected by the red wine....:D

Woody normally you're the bible of building if a little terse, but you've been on the booze tonight! :LOL:Either that or my eyes are affected by the red wine....:D

Both. Probably.

But I can't see how treated roof battens are then dried and then delivered on the back of an open truck and then stored outside in the yard.

Your round.

But I can't see how treated roof battens are then dried and then delivered on the back of an open truck and then stored outside in the yard.
They could have got wet again, but I don't think it happens so quickly unless they store them in a puddle!
you can take a pin moisture meter with you if you want to check the wood hasn't been left outside in the rain for months.

Actually the battens are kiln dried first then treated.
So far as I am aware battens are usually dry before treatment it is just that those specified as kiln dried first simply are then in a position to get a more thorough treatment.

Edit:
To clarify, when I say dry battens I mean with the level of moisture after going through the saw mill which may be improved further if the battens are air dried.
If the kiln dried spec is applied that process reduces moisture much further allowing greater infusion of treatment chemicals and a longer term of protection.

Last edited:
But I suspect that the OP does not care if the timber goes through some sort of process that involves drying, but wants some dried timber out of the shop - and treated timber is not kiln dried after treatment, prior to delivery, ready for sale. ie it's not kiln dried timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back