Roofing in rain

A song for tell - similar to Danny Boy and the black iron pipes - A tribute to Johnny ray and Working ( not walking) in the rain. Just workin in the rain, gettin soakin wet, Torturing my heart just trying to forget, what tell boy has said, he should go and boil his head. Why don't he stick to tarmac: in old ladies livin rooms. Keep takin the pills, tell, you'll be better very soon.

Sponsored Links
You post at all times of the working day - the proof is in your posting record.
Being a supposed roofer do you take High Tea?

From wrong and misunderstood views of a simple felt and fascia pic you've now somehow connected your roofing mistakes to plasterboard?
Perhaps you do plasterboarding in what you claim are your "tea breaks" - you do know that p/b and fascias are not similar materials - pretty weird, in fact, very weird.

At weekends do you help the cops to catch criminals? Or is that also a "tea break" task.

robinbanks,
As best practice its best to fit the trays before the felt - but no matter when you would fit the trays in the OP's pic that felt is too short to do its job.
The felt in your sketch is also too short.
Yerss, it was a sketch of how I thought it might end up in this case, but then again it all wasn't to scale/had quite a bit of artistic license with flying tiles etc. I wouldn't be overly concerned if it was a few cm short- so long as it's long enough to have the tile resting on it to keep it in place, any water getting on it should end up on the support tray and be felled into the gutter regardless (and any felt that sticks out into the sun will probably be trashed after 6 months anyway).

I tend to run a line of gutter sealant in the 6" overlap on my trays but even if it wasn't there it'd be quite atypical for water to track sideways 6" when it's on a downward slope induced by the tray -

While not an ideal length it's not an insurmountable problem, worst case it's about 20 minutes to pull the bottom batten off and slide a rip of felt up under the existing then nail the batten back on

Sponsored Links
You lnterestingly he goes with the moon - it's just passed full and here he is in full flow. I've followed his rants for years and it's a definite pattern.
Side note, did you know the etymology of lunatic is moon based?

Middle English: from Old French lunatique, from late Latin lunaticus, from Latin luna ‘moon’ (from the belief that changes of the moon caused intermittent insanity).

Being a supposed roofer do you take High Tea?
Yes he does. It's a hassle having to go up and down the scaffold. Ask me how I know. So taking tea in a thermos to the roof is more convenient. So he does take his tea pretty high up.

At weekends do you help the cops to catch criminals? Or is that also a "tea break" task.
Not only weekends, or during tea breaks. He's a renowned mastics enforcer. Anyone caught, or even remotely suspected of, using mastics not according to the current roofing code is at risk of being citizen's arrested by him.

Tiled or slated correctly underlay and support trays are surplus.
No trays or underlay here .. no felt even .

Attachments

• IMG-20221012-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20221012-WA0001.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 70
Wrong. Thats very bad advice. Very bad.
Why - because its very wrong.

Approved Document C2 - Section 6 requires felt below the tiles. (Section 6 FWIW uses both the terms felt and underlay).

Are you claiming to know better than Common sense and a century of UK roofing experience?
Tell that to BCO or a very angry householder whose family have been soaked one stormy night?

Tiled or slated correctly underlay and support trays are surplus.
No trays or underlay here .. no felt even .
That's terrible. Wind blows water upwards. The big holes the corner tiles opened up will result a waterfall inside the house. Might I suggest filling those big holes with hybrid polymer sealant?

Yes I know better .. certainly better than you, that is pretty obvious.

There are times when no underlay or trays are what is required and compulsory .. go and google it if you can..

Nut . you're out of your depth. Those that know will know what they are looking at ... jeez

Your own words say that underlay is "surplus" - surplus means the amount left over after what is required has been used.
Why do you try and wriggle away by including "trays"? I specifically mentioned Section 6 referring only to
"felt and underlay"?
Perhaps your v. tired and bewildered, what with mixing up fascias & plasterboard, and now you claim to know better than Section 6 & common sense.

Are you a fantasist nowadays pretending to be a roofer?
I noticed some weeks ago where you made ridiculous, 10 yr old boy, claims for yourself but figured you were ill or had recently fallen on your head - so I let It go, gave you a free pass.

In post #41 you claimd to be finished with this thread but here you are bouncing back like a rubber ball?

Both the googled pics in post # 56 show exterior constructions - are you serious?

#58, I dont think you know what you are talking about - if you do think that you know what you are talking about then perhaps you would say what felt is for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back