Rough cost of steel beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I know this is a vague question as I can't give the specs but can somebody give me ballpark figures as to the cost of steel beams for residential projects? Is there a guide price per metre for example?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There's no such thing as a rule of thumb cost per metre. You might be talking about a ridge beam, a 1500 or 3500 single leaf beam, a pair of double beams - and they could be 200 deep, 250 deep or more? And steel costs are highly variable at the moment.

There's no such thing as a rule of thumb cost per metre. You might be talking about a ridge beam, a 1500 or 3500 single leaf beam, a pair of double beams - and they could be 200 deep, 250 deep or more? And steel costs are highly variable at the moment.

Thanks Jeds. I thought that might be the answer, my question was very vague.

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to estimate the cost by knowing the Kg/m weight of the steel?

For instance, I recently bought a 152 X 89 I beam, 2.8 M long which was £50 cash sale, collected. This was less than 24Kg/M, see below.
I was advised that a similar size 152 X 89 RSC ( as specified by Architect/SE) was 24 Kg/M and worked out about £58. A comparable I beam, weight for weight would have been 203 X 102.

lol it is a lil like asking for the winning lottery numbers. One thing to keep in mind and that is the price off steels goes up and down.

Thanks to all, especially the ebay link as that was useful.

I know my question is still vague but I am really only after an order of magnitude type answer. I have NO idea how much steel beams cost ie 10s, 100s or 1000s of £.

The beams will form the foundations of a solid out building ie beams across concrete posts/padstones. The latter are 6 in number, 2m deep and 1.2m square.

I would put up the exact specs of the steel but my architects office is closed for a few days.

So is anybody able to give me a VERY rough price range of what this sort of steel would cost? Are we talking less than £100 , £500ish or over £1000.

Ps the building is 7.5m by 4m

Thanks again

How heavy is the building!?

Would reinforced concrete ground beams be a cheaper/better solution? You would need more pads but they would be much smaller than your proposed size.

I have extremely limited experience of steel work, but based on that experience I'll give it a go. :oops:

As mentioned, I bought a 2.8M X 152mm X 89mm I beam for £50, cash, collected, no receipt.

So assuming a 4M I beam of similar dimension is about £100, and I assume you need three of them to span your padstones, thus £300 so far.

Then I assume you need approx two of approx 8M similar to run down the long sides, thus two off at about £200 each = £400.

Then they'll need some work to allow them to be bolted together. I've no idea of cost on that one.

So, a guess, about £700 plus the cost of drilled holes and system to bolt them together. :oops:

But I have no idea of what steel you require. I'm just trying to help out a little.

Deluks, thanks. It will have cavity walls and siuble pitched roof and so will weigh the same as a similar extension.

Redherring, thanks for taking the time. I've at least got a rough idea of the cost from your post

Steel stockholders will give you a price per kg for common serial sizes of about £1.80 to £2.00 at the moment. That makes a 4m beam of serial weight, say, 23kg about £180. You might get offcuts cheaper.

Indy,
4 number12200x203x102x23 USBs £1692.00 plus 8 cuts say £80.00 plus few coupling holes say £80.00, delivery say £50.00 Total £1902.00 plus VAT. Based on £1.51 kg which you should be able to get. Not allowed for any end cleating.
Do not like this form of construction, but not our problem.
oldun

Thanks Jed

Oldun, thanks pal. May I ask why you don't like this form of foundations? Its quite a common way to do things these days isn't it?

Ok, I have the actual specs now. There are 6 pieces of steel and each is described as..

G2:203X203X46Kg/m UC.

Each beam looks to be approx 3m long

Could anybody please tell me how much one of these costs?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back