Rough cost of steel beams

Is it possible to estimate the cost by knowing the Kg/m weight of the steel?

For instance, I recently bought a 152 X 89 I beam, 2.8 M long which was £50 cash sale, collected. This was less than 24Kg/M, see below.
I was advised that a similar size 152 X 89 RSC ( as specified by Architect/SE) was 24 Kg/M and worked out about £58. A comparable I beam, weight for weight would have been 203 X 102.

A weight comparison is only rule of thumb. once you go from a universal beam to a pfc has enormous cost differences. and dont go to a rsc.

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to estimate the cost by knowing the Kg/m weight of the steel?

For instance, I recently bought a 152 X 89 I beam, 2.8 M long which was £50 cash sale, collected. This was less than 24Kg/M, see below.
I was advised that a similar size 152 X 89 RSC ( as specified by Architect/SE) was 24 Kg/M and worked out about £58. A comparable I beam, weight for weight would have been 203 X 102.

A weight comparison is only rule of thumb. once you go from a universal beam to a pfc has enormous cost differences. and dont go to a rsc.

I have now put up the exact specs of the steel I need so I'm not sure what your point is? :?:

my point was trying to explain the different steels and their costs.
I do find it strange though that you need 6 steels of the same length.
are you building a hotel.

my point was trying to explain the different steels and their costs.
I do find it strange though that you need 6 steels of the same length.
are you building a hotel.

Ok, but I have now posted the exact specs of the steel I need. Can you tell me how much they would cost please?

The drawing shows a building of 7.5m by 4m. Along each of the 7.5m dimensions there are two x 3m lengths, then there is one x 3m length along each 4m dimension. This of course equals 6.

And no it is not a hotel, but I may turn it into a brothel......... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Indy. We previously allowed for 2 number 203x102x23 USBs bolted together so that a beam was under each skin, but we note that your architect in all his wisdom has decided on single 203x203x46 UC.
As UC is slightly cheaper than USB you should be able to buy at £1.30 kg. therefore to obtain 6@3000 you will need 2 @9500 =19000 @ 46kg =874kg @ £1.30 = £1136.00 plus 6 cuts @ say £10 each and delivery in to London £20. Total £1216.00 plus VAT.
The 203 UC has us baffled for 300 cav wall.
Did you have any problems with entertainments license for brothel?
oldun :LOL: :LOL:

Indy. We previously allowed for 2 number 203x102x23 USBs bolted together so that a beam was under each skin, but we note that your architect in all his wisdom has decided on single 203x203x46 UC.
As UC is slightly cheaper than USB you should be able to buy at £1.30 kg. therefore to obtain 6@3000 you will need 2 @9500 =19000 @ 46kg =874kg @ £1.30 = £1136.00 plus 6 cuts @ say £10 each and delivery in to London £20. Total £1216.00 plus VAT.
The 203 UC has us baffled for 300 cav wall.
Did you have any problems with entertainments license for brothel?
oldun :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks Oldun.

Can you explain what has baffled you about the 203 UC for my construction?

Please explain, as if there is something worrying I need to know before I start!

Ps, you will be allowed one freebie at the brothel. What nationality do you like? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back