Routing a channel in a long bit of wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut two parallel channels or grooves in an eight foor strip of wood to run some sliding doors in. I'm thinking of buying a cheap 1/4" router to do the job. But as I've never used one before I'm unsure of the best method. Would I need a side fence? How would I guide the router over such a long piece? What router bit would I need. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
Keith

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo keef and welcome :D ;)

yes a router with a fence several passes of about 3mm depth
with the work in front of you and the guide fence on the wood in front of you you must work left to right as the blade on the opposite side off the cutter will grip and pull towards the back of the work [away from you towards the back edge]allowing the fence to do its job

if the wood is narrow clamp it with a simmilar piece of wood on either side to tripple your support but high enough in your workmate for the guide to pass

and if your cutter is say 1or 2mm to narrow for the slot required when youve finnished the slot and require to widen it just adjust the fence 1or2mm at a time and take it off the full depth at once

and most off all practice on scrap first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back