Routing shower cable up cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in a recently built house with brick/block walls with fibre insulation. I want to install an electric shower over the bath. I have spare capacity in the consumer unit. I want to run a cable from the unit which is mounted on the outside wall of the downstairs cloakroom up to the loft. Is there a way of routing the cable up the inside of this wall? How do I go about it?

Sponsored Links
DO NOT think of running the cable in the Exterior Cavity Wall - can be dangerous, with damp etc, and possible wall insulation reaction problems.

If it were in an internal stud partition, you may run the cable loose, up between the plasterboard layers, up to the shower etc.

The way, is to cut a channel in the plasterwork/brickwork, sink some plastic conduit in, and pull the cable through that (ease of replacement in future), to power the shower.

Millennium_Boy said:
DO NOT think of running the cable in the Exterior Cavity Wall - can be dangerous, with damp etc,
Oh, heaven forbid, that the cable should get wet...
Thats why they use (waterproof) cable sheath.
The wall insulation reaction could be a problem though.

The best way to do it, is to either chisel out a channel in a wall, or use some trunking - or indeed lift floorboards and run it under the floor, thats what I did (My floorboard is planks of wood, and not actual boards).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. If the exterior wall is dry-lined presumably I could run the cable between the plasterboard and the block inner wall, possibly in trunking? I shall have a dig around and see how the existing cables are routed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back