wire sizes and routing issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I trying to ease the cost by routing some cable for the electrician. i intend to add a consumer unit for my new loft. can someone tell me the size of cable i will need (just for ring mains and lights in loft) also i plan to route the cable in the cavity wall which is insulated, so i intend to feed a plastic plumbing pipe in first and put the cable in that, will that be ok?

Sponsored Links
I trying to ease the cost by routing some cable for the electrician. i intend to add a consumer unit for my new loft. can someone tell me the size of cable i will need (just for ring mains and lights in loft)
Yes, your electrician.

also i plan to route the cable in the cavity wall which is insulated, so i intend to feed a plastic plumbing pipe in first and put the cable in that, will that be ok?
No.

Here we go.

What makes you think you need a seperate CU in the loft any way?

You know your plan to use plumbing pipe? The clue is in the name. It's PLUMBING pipe.

Have you asked your electrician if he's happy for you to do this work? What if he turns up and the cable is the wrong size, or he can't confirm it is run in compliance with the regulations and he refuses to connect it? You'll end up paying for your cable, and then for him to re do it with the right cable.

Hi,
I trying to ease the cost by routing some cable for the electrician. i intend to add a consumer unit for my new loft. can someone tell me the size of cable i will need (just for ring mains and lights in loft) also i plan to route the cable in the cavity wall which is insulated, so i intend to feed a plastic plumbing pipe in first and put the cable in that, will that be ok?
Bit pointless asking us you should be asking the electrician who will be responsible for designing, installing and testing the installation and notifying the local authority building control.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for being no help at all :)
You have been given help and advice but you don't want to hear what is being said to you so you choose to ignore it.
If you live in England or Wales then there are certain rules to follow regarding building regulations. Most notably this work by law requires notification before your start.
If you intend to do the job properly (safely) there are certain rules to follow regarding BS7671. If you know anything about BS7671 you would not be asking such basic questions.
If you get it right circuit design can appear very simplistic, (as per cajar's response) but circuit design can be very dangerous to life and property if you get it wrong.
The question you have to ask yourself when you take into account your proposals and other important safety aspects of BS7671, does Cajar's response fall into the former or later category or both?
Here's a clue keep this number by your phone 999.

Thanks for being no help at all :)
Listen, you complete clown - your electrician is going to have to sign official documents to say that he did all of the work, and that it complied with the Wiring Regulations and the Building Regulations.

Why is it so hard for you to grasp that given that, he must be the one to actually do things like work out what cables to use, and where and how they should be installed?

I trying to ease the cost by routing some cable for the electrician
Have you actually got an electrician engaged, or are you just planning to forge ahead thinking that for some reason you'll be able to find one prepared to accept responsibility for the work you've done?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back