RSJ Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We've got some forward movement in the blockwork on our integral garage. Looking at the padstone and RSJ, it looks as if the RSJ hasn't been installed central to the padstone and isn't distributing the weight evenly. Is it possible that this could cause the blockwork to the left of the beam to crack and move?

Padstone_zps6a4e44ce.jpg

Sponsored Links
Lightweight aerated blocks crack irrespective of loads due to thermal movement and contraction and as a result of over-strength mortar.

The pad looks like it was fitted by a blind arab on a camel. However i doubt that it is detrimental to the overall loading on that wall.

You would need to be having severe problems at foundation level for there to be a problem with the point loading, or some pretty c.rap blocks.

Thanks noseall,
The beam is holding up the 1st floor but I've no idea what the dimensions are or how much pboard is on either side but I take your comment about a blind arab. Built by DWH and BC for this was NHBC but I don't think that counts for much. The cracks start at the RSJ and track diagonally to the left down to about 2nd block up from foundations. Certainly worse than it was 12 months ago so guess I need to monitor it.
Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back