Rubbish systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This was the worst system I had been to ever.

A glossed up cottage owned by an architect.

Boiler on first floor, all walls dry lined, all plumbing behind dry lining. From back of boiler upstairs pipework went up to loft, with seperate drop to each upstairs rad. No drain offs on any rads.

Downstairs rads each had their own drop, no drain off's on any rads. Downstairs drops come from floor above not same drop as corresponding upstairs rads so can't even drain two in one.

No main drain off anywhere.

Only way to drain system is one by one a rad at a time.

Pipework was ll non barrier hepworth, Ariston DIA pump was broken down for good.

I am not a saint, I put a new pump on and a boiler buddy. The client isn't going to pay for the labour of flushing such that every rad has to be drained one by one so I didn't even introduce the idea. I just said it's the worst bodged heating system fitted by a builder I've ever seen in my life and what a good job you are selling the place.

Cottage was of course all beautiful and twee looking with nice cream carpet and walls, and all plumbing miraculously out of sight. The sort of thing an architect would buy.

Sponsored Links
That`s the A word again ....see the building forum :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Paul..you will know the newish hotel (International??) next to the conference centre in Harrogate. When it was new it had an architect designed air-conditioning system..Trouble is he did not design a seperate system for the kitchens, so the fridges had to operate flat out to keep the food cool while the staff baked, and the fridges kept breaking down and ruining food..some of which was still used afterwards, after the insurers stopped paying for spoiled food, as they got fed up as well.

How do i know? My wife was the poor EHO who had to sort the mess out and stamp her feet VERY hard to get the problems resolved. They wanted to do anything but spend money on the system.

We love Architects :rolleyes:

Alfredo

I know the hotel and heard the same story...........

My father is an Architect and ill stand by them.......halve the time its tradesmen who cant be bothered to do the work as specified in the Architects plans so simply say it cant be done and show the architect and easier option.

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind an Architect has 7 intensive years at University in order to do what they do.......Gas installers can get ACS acreditted and corgi registered after attending a 4 week intensive training course. Respect where its due i feel.

OK, I've seen some great jobs done by imaginative architects too, but there is a tendency for them to think they can do it all, and make fundamental errors as a result in areas where their expertise is limited. You can't be expert at everything, and knowing your limits, and when to ask for help, is half the game, but cost is the dominant factor usually.

I have a mate who has a degree in 3D design, and his building design is just fantastic.

Alfredo

HarrogateGas said:
Bear in mind an Architect has 7 intensive years at University in order to do what they do.......Gas installers can get ACS acreditted and corgi registered after attending a 4 week intensive training course. Respect where its due i feel.

When it comes to industrial and mechanical services, Most Architecs haven't got a clue, and reply on the installing Company to design and install.

Of course no one has mentioned the fact that the architect designed the place in RED BRICK :!:

In the middle of a town centre mostly built from Yorkshire Stone

Ha

I do have to say that my experience of architects is that they are good at design but appalling at detail and require an architectural technican do do the design work on which the functioning of the building services relies.

Perhaps the red brick in a boring sea of York stone creates a novel feature? I would not know as I prefer to leave design and colour to the experts. I keep to my own expertise.

I am generally disappointed by the inability of EHOs to come to terms with gas safety issues. They seem far more interested in making sure there are the right posters on the walls in English regardless that the migrant workers cannot read them!

Tony

yet to meet an architect who can figure out a heating sys or understand how it works.most new build flats here have internal boilers which need twin flues to reach the outside,why not design the places correctly with the services in the right place,after all they start with a blank piece of paper and add pencil lines to it.as far as i am aware they are easier to rub out, rather than knock down or bore through like us 4 week gas engineers :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back