Ruined beautiful wooden floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently decorated my daughter's bedroom in our Victorian house. At the end I sanded the floor, it looked amazing, antique pine I think. I bought some varnish to finish the job, I just wanted the wood to look as natural as possible so i used clear matt varnish. As I put it on, the floor went a nasty colour of orange, I persevered as I thought it would dry with no colour. Alas this was not the case and I am left with a bright orange floor. How do I get it off? sand again ? or does that clog the machine? or do I use thinners?

Sponsored Links
Sanding is the only solution I'm afraid.
Pine does turn orangy when a clear finish is applied.
Try a light colour (varnish or oil) like Golden Oak next time

Sponsored Links
well aint that a slap in the face.

Good luck with sanding some more, you poor guy.

i expect what you thought were pine floorboards were actually douglas Fir which has an amazingly orange colour when varnished. especially if the place was built around the 1890's

rottie007, gregers, I dont suppose it really matters now, justin3 asked back in 2007 and has never been heard of since.

May i suggest you check the date a post was made and also the post count before you reply

to be honest he can go jump.

I replied to this thread purely for the reason that anyone reading through the forum who had had a similiar experience may learn a reason for it happening and now know why.. to be honest had the thread been made in 2001 I still would have replied.. after all how will we learn if people refuse to add to the threads????

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back