Running 3 showers...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm wanting to have 3 showers in my property, after some thought I'm now thinking...

1 electric (9.5-10.5kw) in ensuite
2 off the combi boiler in two bathrooms

What problems am I likely to need to overcome? Cold mains flow/pressure? Hot supply from combi?

Currently on LPG bottles with a Worcester Bosch 37cdi combi... hoping to get oil tank installed though and switch to an oil combi.

Is running three showers at once a bit far fetched?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Yes ... If you want all 3 running at the same time. You'd really need a suitably sized HW store ideally @ a good dynamic mains pressure (3bar ideally) and @ a suitable dynamic flow rate (> 20L/Min ) - Unvented/thermal store.

An electric shower will never deliver a shower anywhere near what mains HW or a combi can deliver but it is an alternative. A combi will really only satisfactorily deliver enough HW for 1 HW outlet at a time.

So, if just using a combi boiler, would one option be electric shower and two combi showers, but set up so that only 1 combi shower can be in use at a time (in which case are 2 combi fed showers pointless, might as well just have one to start with).

Should I be avoiding a combi altogether? It's a 4 bed detached house, sleeping 8+, approx 10 radiators. Plenty of space in loft room for water tanks.

Based on what you said I'm thinking (assuming good mains pressure).. 1 electric shower, then 2 regular showers powered by a good sized thermal store with min 20l flow rate, regular oil boiler heating the thermal store?

The thermal store will supply the two showers and any hot taps, the the central heating being heated by the boiler itself.

Why didn't I just buy a 1 bed flat?

Last edited:
Should I be avoiding a combi altogether?

Yes, combi boilers were designed specifcally to provide heating and hot water in flats and "compact" houses where there was no room for a hot water cylinder and /or storage and header tanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. So, correct me if I'm being thick, but how about this set up...

System oil boiler, not sure what size is best..
https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/firebird-enviromax-12-20kw-system-oil-boiler-erp/

Solar indirect hot cylinder... heated by oil boiler with the option of additional solar heating if we choose to add that later..
https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/heatrae-sadia-premierplus-solar-indirect/

That'll provide for central heating and ourchot water needs (taps and showers)?

That'll provide for central heating and ourchot water needs (taps and showers)?
An oil boiler and cylinder can - but you can't just pick items at random from various places and hope they will work.
A heating system must be designed for the particular application, and there is far more to that than just buying a boiler, cylinder and oil tank.

Same as everything else in the building such as electrical, drainage, ventilation and the rest.

You can't do any of this yourself - if you want something that will actually work and comply with the various regulations, you will need to have professionals design and install it.

Absolutely, anything we go for will be from a qualified tradesmen. The items I mentioned above were just examples of the setup, rather than actual suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back