Running Ceiling Wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering doing the prep work for having recessed ceiling lights installed need some advise of how best to run the additional wire.

Obviously I want to inflict as little damage as possible but expect to cut some holes to help route the cable but in the situation where I need to run a wire through a joist I am a little stumped after spending the last hour searching google of how to do it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Go upstairs, move your furniture out of the way, lift your carpet and possibly lift your floor boards.... then pay a spark to do the wiring; he'll then give you certificate after he has tested it and will carry out the part P notification.

Then you can put everything back

I should probably mention I need to do this on the ground floor and can't get access from the upper floor.

No Part P either as you're in Scotland!! :oops:

You will have to cut holes in the ceiling so that you can drill the joist, most electricians use angle drills that fit between the joists.

TBH get your electrician first and ask them what they are happy to let you do to reduce cost.

Sponsored Links
No, it's a detached house but having looked at the floor above there is no straight forward way to lift the floor and doing it from below would be the best option.

Are you any good at plastering ceilings?

What condition is the existing ceiling in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back