running electric 2 a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im looking advice im wanting to run electric to an outside shed, the appliances which will run of this are a washing machine, fridge freezer, freezer, then a couple of spare pieces which wont always be on eg vibro plate, radio, tv etc im being quoted £1000 as there wanting to run it from the mains electric box is there no way i can run an extention lead if its incased say from the excisting washing machine socket from the kitchen???? hope yas can help!!!

Sponsored Links
is there no way i can run an extention lead if its incased say from the excisting washing machine socket from the kitchen???? hope yas can help!!!

There is NO way you can do that and be safe.

Listen to the electrician. He knows what he is talking about. For the loads you are talking about the supply has to come from the CU. Get quotes from two other electricians and decided on the best. Get them to tell you wah they will be doing.

If you run it on an extension lead from the washing machine socket you are likely to lose the contents of the freezer when the fuse in the extension lead plug blows. How good is the earth in the washing machine socket. How "good" is the extension leads earh wire. Is there an RCD protecting that washing machine socket. Get it wrong and you or someone else could get a fatal electric shock in the shed.

You also need to think about how cold it gets in your shed in the winter, and look at the specifications of your fridge and freezer - there is a good chance that they won't work properly out there.

Gary , it seems somewhere like a good ball park figure for me , i do a lot of these subbying for Garage/Shed agent , If a customer wants a cheaper price from me , i ask him to dig the Channel for the Cable or Lift and relay Flags as required , all jobs are different

PS - If you are putting a Washing Machine in there,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe obvious but you need a Cold Water Feed and a 4" Gully soilpipe etc to send your 11/2" Waste to ............ that usually aint cheap too

No disrepect Fella ,, But a lot of Peeps just don`t realise what is involved to run Electric & Water to a Shed and hence what is Costs !!!

Lucky

PPS - If doing one of these jobs with a Water Mains supply I ALWAYS insisit on fitting a Heater with an Integral Thermostat , it makes a bit of a mess when you get a Frozen Pipe Bursting !!!

Sponsored Links
You also need to think about how cold it gets in your shed in the winter, and look at the specifications of your fridge and freezer - there is a good chance that they won't work properly out there.

cheers but im sheeting the inside of the shed with 12mm ply and inbetween this and outside wall will be polystyrene blocks this should help keep the temp up dont you think???

Gary , it seems somewhere like a good ball park figure for me , i do a lot of these subbying for Garage/Shed agent , If a customer wants a cheaper price from me , i ask him to dig the Channel for the Cable or Lift and relay Flags as required , all jobs are different

PS - If you are putting a Washing Machine in there,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe obvious but you need a Cold Water Feed and a 4" Gully soilpipe etc to send your 11/2" Waste to ............ that usually aint cheap too

No disrepect Fella ,, But a lot of Peeps just don`t realise what is involved to run Electric & Water to a Shed and hence what is Costs !!!

Lucky

PPS - If doing one of these jobs with a Water Mains supply I ALWAYS insisit on fitting a Heater with an Integral Thermostat , it makes a bit of a mess when you get a Frozen Pipe Bursting !!!

cheers for that ive got the plumbing side sorted its done and paid for thats why i was tryin 2 save abit on the electrical side!!!

cheers but im sheeting the inside of the shed with 12mm ply and inbetween this and outside wall will be polystyrene blocks this should help keep the temp up dont you think???
Insulation alone won't keep the place warm, it only slows down heat loss. You will still have to heat the space in the first place.

cheers for that ive got the plumbing side sorted its done and paid for thats why i was tryin 2 save abit on the electrical side!!!
Because everybody knows that plumbing can be deadly, whereas electricity never killed anybody. :rolleyes:

This is a great read, by the way. ;)

As you've got a water supply out there, then you may need to extend your houses equiptotential zone to include the shed. This will involve running at least a 10.0mm² earth with the supply, or alternatively converting the supply to TT and sinking earth rod(s) and RCD protecting all circuits at the shed end.

An extention lead simply is not an option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back