Electrics for Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a new shed in the garden. Need electrics to be run.

2 gang sockets - 4
2 switches for lights

Shed will host, fridge, Freezer (all year), tumble dryer (winter months) and few other small items like charging(all year), may be some electric air fryer / barbeque (all year), etc when ever required.

We already have a supply running to the garden frm the kitchen. This is a 2 gang weather proof one and this is controlled by a fused switch in the kitchen.

Now How do I do the electrics supply to the shed ? Below are the requirements -
Fridge (all year)
Freezer (all year)
Tumble dryer (winter months / 3-4 months in a year)
Charging (all year)
Electric air fryer / barbeque (all year)
2 light switches

NOW,
Should I take a separate line from the main to run through kitchen (we live in a terraced house) to shed ?
or
Should we use the existing supply in the garden to be used for the shed ?
or
Any other suggestions please ?
Obviously would like to have the costs in control. These days, in my local the handmen and builders/electricians/plumbers are all quoting ridiculous money even for a small job.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks both. Makes sense. Will ensure these are. A electrician has quoted 1600 for a single day job. If you ask me, that's day theft. Will be looking out for multiple quotes before finalisng one.

Sponsored Links
to do what exactly ,
and how many people will be on the job ?
Digging a trench to the shed ?
Laying armoured cable - size - and going back to consumer unit???
All hidden and made good after , re lawn ??? if garden dug up
unlikely in a day ....

£1600 for doing what?

And is the freezer you plan to put in the shed suitable for such a location?

This wiring matters covers supply to out buildings but is a bit dated as to
A tumble dryer on its own will need that.
A heat pump tumble drier is more like 600 watt, however below
freezer will work in the low ambient temperatures that will occur in a shed in winter,
will also apply to the heat pump tumble drier they also have a minimum temperature they can work in.

Fridge (all year)
Freezer (all year)
Tumble dryer (winter months / 3-4 months in a year)
Charging (all year)
Electric air fryer / barbeque (all year)
2 light switches
So fridge inrush 7 amp run less than 1 amp unless inverter type.
freezer the same as fridge.
tumble drier depends on type used, my old vented was only 1 kW there are some made designed to run over night with low heat, and as said heat pump around 600 watt, but most are over 2 kW.
charging what, my e-bike is less than an amp, and my trickle charger for car less than an amp, but an EV charger looking at around 30 amp.
Air fryer/barbecue likely also 2 kW or more.
Lights likely less than one amp.

So inrush full 13 amp to start the fridge and freezer but run we will say 1 amp so it is will the Air fryer/barbecue be used at same time as the tumble drier if so then looking at a 20 amp supply, EV charging needs a current transformer on the main supply, so it would use a dedicated lead to the consumer unit, so assume only talking about charging lead acid batteries or other small batteries.

SWA cable is not cheap, and for 20 amp needs to go all the way to the consumer unit, it will likely need burying or saddles both time consuming, and electricians should not work alone, so I pay a gardener £20 an hour so he is unlikely to be able to do a second job in the day, so around £350 at least for his time. Then we have maybe digger hire, and the materials so the £1,600 is not that bad, yes it may be a little on the high side, but we don't know all the details.

I watch my gardeners and they never seem to stop, but looking at what they have done for their £200 for half a day, it does not seem much. But when I tried to do it, I spent all day with daughters help and did not do half what they did. And I know where I volunteer we need a digger and it arrives at 10 am and is collected at 4 pm, and we had not finished, but hire a man with digger, he has done it in 3 hours and helped us as well. And that is when we know what's under the ground, I have no idea where my services run, I would be very slow digging as would not want to rip up a cable or pipe. A CAT cable detector can cost £90 a day. Earth rod tester another £80 I would hope he has the rest of test equipment required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back