Tumble Dryer in Metal Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, apologies if this isn't in the correct forum but I'm looking for advice on putting a tumble dryer into a garden shed. We're in the process of buying a new shed specifically to store a tumble dryer and possibly a chest freezer and are wondering if a metal shed would be suitable for this or if we need to go with a different material. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
a metal shed will be very cold and prone to condensation. Presumably you are getting a vented drier and would seal the vent hose tightly through the wall?

Thank you for the response. I did think that may be the case with a metal shed, and haven't really thought about whether we'd get a vented dryer or a condenser, I kinda assumed it would have to be a vented one, and if so yes we would seal the vent through the wall. If a metal shed isn't an option, then we'd possibly look at a wooden or plastic one but I'm guessing these would both come with damp and condensation issues. I guess a brick built insulated one would be our best option but probably the most costly, although not in the long run maybe if it preserved the lifespan of the tumble dryer! Definitely quite a few considerations here to ponder

Sponsored Links
If you had a wooden shed, it would be easier to apply insulation to the walls and ceiling. Typically you would add slabs or rolls of insulation inside, then a protective lining of ply, nailed or screwed to the frame.

I think a condenser drier would be a bad choice, because they all release a certain amount of steam into the air, depending how good they are.

In an unheated shed, whether metal or wood, the tumble dryer is likely to rust earlier than necessary.

But my bigger worry would be the chest freezer, as oddly enough, most won't work if the temperature drops too low. Check the specification for anything you're thinking of buying.

Some Beko freezers can be used in unheated spaces. Check the brochure. I don't know but I guess they are an older design.

Thanks for the responses everyone, we currently have a small wooden shed at the top of the garden which has power to it. Our initial thoughts were just to replace this with a bigger one (be it wood, metal, plastic etc) However after some discussion over the weekend we think maybe the best thing to do will be to build a brick shed at the bottom of the garden....which is going to involve significantly more work....new electrics, moving line posts etc but hopefully in the long run this will be the better option......now to get a quote for a 10ft x 8ft brick built shed!!

Thanks for the responses everyone, we currently have a small wooden shed at the top of the garden which has power to it. Our initial thoughts were just to replace this with a bigger one (be it wood, metal, plastic etc) However after some discussion over the weekend we think maybe the best thing to do will be to build a brick shed at the bottom of the garden....which is going to involve significantly more work....new electrics, moving line posts etc but hopefully in the long run this will be the better option......now to get a quote for a 10ft x 8ft brick built shed!!

You can buy a lot of appliances for the cost of building a brick shed....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back