running gas pipework for hob and gas cooker

I dont disagree with you B.O.B. but at 1519 yesterday nstreet said that in their kitchen it was an electric hob.

Unless some very unusual exclusion applied, the installer was so wrong to use a flexible hose that I wonder if he really was CORGI registered. After the kitchen fire I saw which had resulted from a hose being used I feel that nstreet should get the installation corrected for safety reasons.

In any case, certainly in London, a gas oven under the work surface is pretty rare and therefore not what I would class as a "normal" situation.

Since the 1st April this year, all CORGI registered people are required to notify CORGI when they fit a gas cooker and this costs about £4.50 and takes about 15 minutes. A bit of extra Red tape which the ODPM and HSE seems to encourage.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Corgigazza is only one to get it right, manufacturers instructions will tell you what is allowed as these over rule any reg and will say if allowed and in what situation. A few hob manufacturers do say can be fitted on flexible pipe but as said they also tell you when it can`t be

namsag said:
Corgigazza is only one to get it right, manufacturers instructions will tell you what is allowed as these over rule any reg and will say if allowed and in what situation. A few hob manufacturers do say can be fitted on flexible pipe but as said they also tell you when it can`t be

Namsag,

They say you can use a flexible connection in some cases provided it's connected to a rigid pipe

A: Fixed domestic hobs may be installed using a flexible hose. The hob should be installed in accordance with manufacturer's installation instructions and BS 6172.

It should be of the correct type for the gas being used.

The hose must not be subject to temperatures above 70ºC, and should be positioned such that it will not suffer mechanical damage.

Sponsored Links
Doitall of course flex would be connected to a rigid pipe unless someone had run entire house supply in a flex. What point are you trying to put

namsag said:
Doitall of course flex would be connected to a rigid pipe unless someone had run entire house supply in a flex. What point are you trying to put

Not what I was thinking but "tracpipe" could be used as an example.

Just for the records the words came from a well know corgy book :LOL: :LOL:

My gas hob is on a hose. The hose is behind the adjacent unit so doesn't get hot. I think it's OK. I'm entitled to make that decision. Might have to defend it in court, but a prosecutor would have problems. Bring 'em on :evil: .

I would expect that the HSE would bring on the CORGI expert witness who would open the CORGI book at the appropriate page and point to it.

The Judge would ask to see the book.

The Judge would then throw the book at Chris!

Tony

PS Just because Chris thinks its OK does not mean that it is!

A while back a m8 had me look at a gas cooker in an housing association house, where the gas pipe ran down the wall directly behind the cooker and was so hot you couldn't touch it without burning your hand.

:( :( :( :(

still there now as far as I know, even though I told him to get it moved.

Agile said:
I would expect that the HSE would bring on the CORGI expert witness who would open the CORGI book at the appropriate page and point to it.

The Judge would ask to see the book.

The Judge would then throw the book at Chris!

Tony

PS Just because Chris thinks its OK does not mean that it is!

Better still look on that well known website ;)

Kev, I dont know exactly where the probihition is written, I just know its prohibited ( unless MI ... )

However a quick search on the web found a private "gas safety" advice site where it stated that it has never been good practice but has been totally prohibited "since November 2004"!

That indicates to me that it will only be found in quite recent publications, certainly not my older CORGI Gas Safety book.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back