Rushing Sound

Fit an automatic bypass in teh airing cupboard, about 15 quid from www.bes.co.uk or rremove all the thermostatics from the downstairs and fit a wireless room stat.

Sponsored Links
yes, that's exactly it in the photo & the pipe is indeed plastic; so is that indeed likely to be a bypass? The slot in the valve is diagonal to the pipe at about 45 degrees & there is some water running in the pipe as it was hot to the touch...........

If you open the valve a little (it's fully open when the slot is along the length of the valve and fully shut when it's across the length - like a gas valve often is) the noise may go away, but you may find some rads not heating. The valve you have is not really the right thing to use as a bypass as it is difficult to regulate and could be noisy. Ideally, change it to an automatic bypass valve which has a spring in it so it opens and closes as required. Also, do you have a wallstat to control the system? If not, you should fit one, perhaps in the living room and then leave the TRVs in that room set at max (or take their heads off).

Sponsored Links
Many thanks Ricarbo,

I'll give a try at adjusting the valve at the weekend; i did look at the BES website suggested by piperpete (thankyou BTW) but couldn't see an automatic valve only the differential bypass valve which i think it might be; but i will enquire at the local plumbers merchant.

there is a wall thermostat fitted but it's in the hall a good 15' away from the radiator which is just inside the front door; I'll probably end up just taking the head off the TRV in the bathroom though as it is closer & extra heat in the bathroom never goes wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back