Saab 9-3, 1.9 TiD - no power from start, runs rough, smokes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be very grateful for help diagnosing a fault with my diesel Saab 9-3, 1.9 TiD (150 bhp), 57 reg, 55k miles. It has been running great (good mpg etc), but when I started it yesterday it run rough, it was barely turning over (like a flooded carburettor or missing spark plug on petrol), and there was absolutely no power - every time I tried to engage gear it stalled. It was smoking. I haven't added petrol by mistake. The last time I filled the tank it was low and that was half a tank ago. No faults recorder on system - mobile mechanic checked this morning. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
What did the mobile mechanic say, or did he say anything to you?

He thought it might be fuel filter. But he couldn't investigate because car is on road, on steep slope. He's tapping his colleagues, I thought I try DIYnot - got spot on diagnosis the last time. Thanks.

It could well be the fuel filter, but they usually show signs when the driver demands power from the engine? Usually it takes that little to keep the engine going at tick over you don't get any symptoms.

If you let the car run for a while, does the engine stop or does it run better? You may have air leaking into the fuel line when the engine is stopped. This will give these symptoms, especially after start up, but should gradually get better as the car runs? A sure sign of a leak will be wet damp (with diesel) pipes/filter casing?
If you have any see through fuel lines around the engine you may be able to see the air moving around the pipes.

Did you get him to change the fuel filter?

Sponsored Links
start with the basics if a management light isnt illuminated, fuel filter change, air filter change and egr clean would be my first things to do

It was the EGR valve. It was jammed open. Mechanic diagnosed by rapping the valve housing sharply with a wooden mallet. This resulted in the car running much better, i.e the release of the jammed valve. Mechanic removed, cleaned with solvent and reinstalled. Took 30 min in total. Car running great. Thanks to all for input.

Sponsored Links
Back