Safe to remove pebble dashing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been told that if I take off all my pebble dashing it might damage or ruin all the exterior walls, is that true?

Apparently because its been on for so long (about 50 years I think) its bonded to the walls. Instead I should apply a 10mm finishing coat on top of the pebble dashing if I want a smooth finish. Is that right?

Sponsored Links
JohnBoyII said:
I've been told that if I take off all my pebble dashing it might damage or ruin all the exterior walls, is that true?
I've just helped a friend remove his and it must've been on for decades. Surprisingly perhaps, it came off quite well I thought, but there's no way it left the bricks pristine. Whether or not that was down to over-enthusiastic use of the 850W rotary hammer I don't know! Anyway, it didn't matter in his case because he then had smooth render applied - looks fantastic now and definitely worth it! :)

Phew, thanks for that. I thought I have to put up with the pebble dashing for good. I wasn't planning to use a rotary hammer, probably a hammer and chisel.

By the way, did your friend apply a two-coat or single-coat render? I was going to apply an undercoat of about 15mm, and then a finishing coat of about 5-10mm.

JohnBoyII said:
By the way, did your friend apply a two-coat or single-coat render? I was going to apply an undercoat of about 15mm, and then a finishing coat of about 5-10mm.
He got contractors in to do the rendering but I'll ask if he knows the details.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Out of curiosity, what would have happened if I had rendered over the pebble dashing? I thought the loose stones would quickly cause the new render to fall off, is that right?

If the pebbledash rendering is okay, scrape off the loose stone with a shovel (wear goggle) and make goods if any loose patch, seal it and render over. Never has any problem with mine for the last 22 years.

You can render over pebbledash. You would need to go over the whole wall and remove any loose stuff. Check for any hollows, behind the existing render and remove where found. Clean the entire surface to remove surface grease and dirt. Seal the whole lot with a good PVA (bonding) and then render.

Using a hammer and chissel to strip an entire house of pebbledash is going to be excedingly hard work (and that's an understatement). If you're going to strip it, buy a cheep percussion drill from B&Q and take it back at the end of the job for replacement under waranty (as it'll probaby be worn out by then):).

Sorry MasonA, you got in just before me. Your reply wasn't showing when I started typing my response.

Get yourself a nice blonde secretary that can type more then 2 word per minute than you :LOL:

Get yourself a nice blonde secretary that can type more then 2 word per minute than you
Mmm, I wonder if that Nicole Kidman wants a little spare time job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back