Salvage

C

cantaloup63

So this ship that toppled over. How does one salvage as much as possible from it? More to the point, could the gash be welded up (behave yourselves :rolleyes:) the water pumped out and the whole thing be refloated and taken for repairs or proper dismantling?

Sponsored Links
Surely they could seal it up and pump water and fuel out, which would lead to it floating?

Sponsored Links
I've seen some talk about it being cut up into large sections and carted off to the knackers yard. It's amazing what they can do these days, that russian sub the kursk was on the bottom of the black sea and they hacksawed one end off it before they raised it to the surface.

Them gypos'll stop at nothing. :mrgreen:

thats what they need to do,just say its a free for all,and watch within a short space of time it disapere, :LOL:

More to the point, could the gash be welded up (behave yourselves :rolleyes:) the water pumped out and the whole thing be refloated and taken for repairs or proper dismantling?

That would be likely
A Temp repair
Tug and frame work to pull it upright
whilst floatation devises and the water is pumped out to allow towing to proper repairs

More to the point, could the gash be welded up (behave yourselves :rolleyes:) the water pumped out and the whole thing be refloated and taken for repairs or proper dismantling?
That’s exactly what I expect to happen &, as it’s such a new ship, extremely unlikely it will dismantled & scraped. As far as ships go, the damage is equivalent to you crunching the front wing in your car so it won’t be written off unless tests show up other (stress related) damage to the hull that are not cost effective to repair !

Once repaired & refitted with a name change, you’ll never notice the difference & it’ll probably be sailing around the med again in a couple of years or so; maybe even less. If your suspicious about stuff like that, I advise to keep some photos of the “Costa” for comparison & look very carefully before you book that Med cruise in 2015; they certainly ain’t gonna tell you. :LOL:

It'll be just as reliable as any cut & shut ;)

I dont think they will salvage it now

They have said the recovery will take about 10 months anyway and I suspect the damage is a lot worse than just a split hull. It will need a total rebuild including engines etc. I think they will salvage parts and things and scrap the rest of the ship.

Was mentioned this week that the chances are they will cut it into 2 and tow it away.

p="2276704 said:
[The Mary-Rose for example. :LOL:

. Unlike the other whom`s trousers gave no struggle :eek: Quoth ye in Olde English :?: Hath thy trousers given thee no struggle - thou hast been hoisted by thine own petard :mrgreen:

thats what they need to do,just say its a free for all,and watch within a short space of time it disapere, :LOL:

Expect a flotilla of knackered old transit pickups, with beer mats for tax discs, to set sail for Italy any day now. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back