Salvaging bathroom floor to patch grd floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1930's semi
Going to sand and varnish the ground floor boards, however some have too many holes or missing due to taking walls down.
I was thinking of either trying to buy salvage from the internet.
OR
take the boards up in the bathroom, as I'll be tiling over those and replace with new ones.

Good idea or more pain than it's worth?

Sponsored Links
The ones you talk about lifting will already be aclimatised, but to a wetter environment therefore you can expect some shrinkage. However your idea is sound and if it was me I probably do the same...pinenot

Cheers for the reply

What is the best way to take up the boards?

As I will most likely be laying them individually is it best to cut off the tongues and crowbar up?

If there secret nailed i.e. nailed through the upper face of each tongue @ the joist. This skew nailing can be prized up from the joist by hammering the claw of a hammer between joist and board, lifting up slightly then striking the board down sharply. This leaves the nail high and dry and you can pull it without any great damage to tongue or groove, making the relay much easier.
If they are face nailed i.e. you can see rows of nail heads, just punch them through with a nail punch...pinenot

Sponsored Links
If they've been sloppy and used large flat head nails, do you suggest trying to pry the boards up as not to leave larger holes?

This is going to be a 'fun' job this wet weekend..

If there's any poss of damage, cut with a chisel 1/4" either side of nail head through the tongue , so that when you pry the boards up any damage is localized and the majority of the tongue remains intact. If they have nailed through the face and for some reason used large headed nails put the chisel end of a pry bar between board and joist, tapping and lifting repeatedly until you touch the nail - pry up and wrap the board down smartly to leave the head proud of the board and get the claws in...pinenot

Thanks
They are nailed through the planks.

If I am replace a single plank in the middle of a floor wouldn't it be better to cut the tongue off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back