Sand coming out of screened floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi our floor was done about 7 weeks ago ,I moved a table today and must have caught the floor and it created a hole when I poked the sand away ,I will add pics ,also another spot is crumbly ,the surface is quite dusty when walked on you can feel the grit on your feet .is this normal . Should it be a polished surface as it's quite rough and bitty .i had to chisel a bit away in the corner due to it being a bit higher than our floor and this in areas was a crumbly .hoping it's not been done by a cowboy as job has now been signed off .thankyou . Also on cement that's between brick work should some of that be powdery to touch ,some of it can be scrapped with a nail ..

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what the question is, but the screed and wall mortar should not be powdery like you have described.

The pics below

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 135
Screed mix is notoriously difficult to get right in regards to water quantities. It requires only enough water to bind the materials together. The lack of water leads to a difficulty in the materials properly mixing and occasionally pockets of frozen or compact sand will not get mixed in properly.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou I hope that's all it is had so may problems with the build can't handle anymore especially now he's off to Canada

Hi do you think a screed strengthener and then latex would do it .or the whole floor needs re doing .the materials were sat on our lawn for about a month in December

The screed is largely cosmetic in terms of the larger structure and does not benefit from being overly brittle (cement rich).
As long as the greater part of the screed is intact then you should be ok. If it is so weak that you could say scape it away with a spoon then it ain't no good.

I can't scrape it away but if I twist a screwdriver it goes in in certain parts .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back