Sanding a Wooden Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to my local hardware shop and hired a sanding machine and discs. I'd already bought some varnish for the floor, and having read all the articles I'd got on sanding floors, thought the procedure would be simple. Well, I was half right. However, the end product was not what I had intended. I sanded the floor using a coarse sanding disc, which resulted in an uneven finish to the floor. Not one of the articles I'd ever read had told me to use medium grade sanding paper (not until after I'd finished the sanding and the varnish showed the floor finish off perfectly)! I think re - sanding to improve the floors look is the only solution. Can't think of any other.

Sponsored Links
Don't use discs. Use a drum sander for the main area with a course grade and run diagonal across the boards, when showing even then change to medium and then smooth. Use the disc(edger) round the edges of the room. Thoroughly clean room with vac and then stain,varnish or polish.

Wingcoax: Thanks for your reply and tips on re - sanding my wooden floor. Just one little question. You said "don't use discs, use a drum sander." What's the difference. Do I use discs with a drum sander or what?

Sponsored Links
Kathy - a disc sander spins a plate-like disc with an abrasive disc attached to it's face; a drum sander is like a barrel with an abrasive 'strip' wrapped around it. Obviously, when the abrasive wears down or clogs-up, or when you need to shift to a finer grade these items are changed. This tackle is typical of the stuff from hire shops for the DIYer. There's a third beast available (usually used by the pros) called a floor belt sander - as the name implies an endless belt of abrasive runs over rollers.

With the hire shop tackle you use the drum sander to attack the main part of the floor and the edging sander (a disc sander) to get up to the walls/skirting. However, that still leaves the corners; these can be dealt with in a number of ways: glasspaper on a wooden block (elbow grease), a detail sander, or a paring chisel (this is my favourite 'cos it's quick and effortless)

When hiring the tackle get more abrasives than you might need as most hire shops will buy-back what you don't use.

When you plan to varnish your floor, end with grid 150 sanding paper (120 when you want to oil/hardwaxoil your floor).

Drum sanders can be used, but could give you shatter marks. Belt sanders (around 80 kg and not always available from your standard hire shop) will definitely do a better job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back